Best strings for a short scale

Order directly from la Bella. That way you know your strengths are legitimate and their customer service is top notch. I will never use any other kind of flat round string, they’re deep talking base are incredible.

I do.
A luthier I know has been lamenting Labella’s quality through the pandemic. They took on extra business making strings for others during the pandemic to the detriment of their own quality. Labor issues don’t help either. They will get through it. They’ve been around since just after dinosaurs went extinct.

Despite their quality faux pas, I still love their flats (and tapes). I’m from Newburgh, NY which is where they are based so I’ll always support them anyway.

I always like Fender strings for electric guitar, but since 30 years I used D’addario,
But now I switch to Bass, I need to learn who sell the best Bass strings and the price$. Actually I am ordering strings from D’addario, Fender and Ernie Balls, because they are the same price +/-.
And after trying all those 3 sets, I will be able to juged it.
I know it have way more brand of strings, but some are too expensive and , for me those 3 brands are enough to test.
My Squier stock Bass strings was actually really good.

Thread revival time:

Looking for flatwound for my short scale Hofner (no, not that Hofner) and there seems to be a really limited choice for less than a lot of money. I haven’t found any of the brands that make cheap ‘n’ cheerful strings making shorties, and even the well know brands have a bit of a premium on them.

I’ve found a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky nickel wound 45-100s but nothing flat was under £50 ($60?). I got these cheap from Amazon as a set of unopened customer returns, and at £15 I can live without flats while I get the bass back on its feet and get used to playing it, but I hate rounds: my plucking hand doesn’t mind them so much, but my fretting hand makes horrible noises on them.

Has anybody found a set that don’t cost an arm? I’d love to give the La Bellas a shot, but at £70+ I’ll have to wait til next Christmas.

Try Thomann.de for you guys across the pond. Then search for Thomastik-Infeld JF324 Jazz Flats. Great strings.

Also keep in mind that flats last forever, so a one-time expenditure will be a very long-time investment. Good luck.

2 Likes

I dont think there is a right or wrong answer here. For my fretted basses, I use D’addario NYXL strings. I found some reviews for various strings, and one lead me to try them. I ended up liking them allot. For my fretless I use Fender Nylon Tapewound. In the case of the fender nylons, I use them because they’re reasonably priced for a tapewound.

1 Like

Playing with a (musician’s) glove on your left hand cuts the string noise a lot. I started using them when i ran into my nerve issues and I think I’m a convert.

1 Like

Thomann charge £10 for delivery outside Germany (or maybe it’s EU) which is significant on a £40 set of strings. And yes, I’m tight with money except when it’s frivolous purchase of another unneeded bass.

Thomann charge for delivery anywhere, even Germany. However the amount will depend on the country. You can get free delivery if you order for a certain minimum amount (149£ for the UK).

I put items on my wish list that might be useful (instrument cable for example) and add them to an order if I am below the free delivery amount :sweat_smile:

Alternatively, you can just wait until you have enough items on your list for the free delivery.

1 Like

I always wondered about the gloves do you still have calluses and does your hand get hot and sweaty?

1 Like

Again, flats are essentially a one-time purchase. And TI Jazz Flats are the cream of the crop strings. Lastly, a bass without strings is like a car without tires. :wheel:

2 Likes

I still have calluses and no, I haven’t gotten sweaty yet, and they are supposed to wick away the sweat anyway

thats interesting I have seen a few wear them and always wondered…

At first you miss the tactile sensation, like you can’t feel, but soon you can pickup everything you used to when they’re on. It makes the necks feel smooth, even high gloss ones. My fingers don’t get as sore from playing rounds, even rough ones.

I like the psychological effect. When I put on the glove everything clicks into place and I’m loaded for bass.

I may try on my plucking hand again but I didn’t like them as much, but on my fretting hand :+1:

Try them.

2 Likes

thanks for the input sounds amazing