Best strings for a short scale

I am looking for opinions between set of strings for a 4 strings Bass short scale 31 inches,

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Nickel Wound Bass Set.

050 - .105 versus
D’addario EXL 170S, 45-105.
WHAT IS YOUR FAV AND WHY?
Thank you
Mike

1 Like

Welcome, @Neteel. Glad you’re here.

I have D’Addario EXL strings on my short scales. They are great all-around strings: not too bright, not too warm.

EB Slinkys are not bad. I have some on my main bass at the moment, although I’m going to switch them out with DR Hi-Beams, which sound great for all styles of playing.

2 Likes

Idk about rounds. I’ve had problems with corrosion out of the pack on Ernie ball strings. Also has polishing problems on Thomastik infelds. Zero issues with 8 packs of labella strings, so they’re the only thing I’ve used now. Actually tried a pack of their guitar strings with a wound G and they were also awesome.

2 Likes

I love labellas but their quality has been spotty. You’ve been lucky.

2 Likes

Destiny

1 Like

I’m no expert, but I like the GHS Pressurewounds I got for my 30” Ibanez. There’s several threads discussing them over at TalkBass.

2 Likes

Not sure about shorties but on full scale I strongly prefer D’Addario EXL’s over EBMM Slinkys. They feel better to me. Both sound fine. Neither are a bad choice, and both are very inexpensive.

2 Likes

Thank you, you are right, both have a really good price.
I think I will stay with D’addario.

2 Likes

D’Addarios work great on short scales. You’ll like ‘em.

1 Like

30" scale Fender roundwounds on a Fender p-bass (40-95) - surprisingly mellow
28.5" scale Ibanez Mikro on a Fender telecaster (45-105) - very, very bright
30.5" scale Picato tapewound on a Gibson EB3 (60-115) - neck pickup sounds like a double bass
About to put Rotosound 66 (45-105) on a 30" scale hollow Gibson ES125 - anyone want to predict the sound / feel ?
(guitars are all made in my shed, so more OfFender / Chibson).

1 Like

I have actually D’addario EXL170S on my short scale Bass and I love it, I was just checking if I can find cheaper price for Bass strings, I am a D’addario guy since long long time
Thank you!
Mike

2 Likes

Do you know what are the name to the fender strings?

Fender 5250 Short Scale Bass Strings : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ

1 Like

Are they Fender 5250 XL Nickel Plated Bass Guitar Strings, Extra Light, SHORT SCALE?
Are they really good?

Thank you, really good price on Amazon.ca in Canada,
I will try that
Thank you!
Mike

Yes.
I like them (they need to bed in for a couple of weeks), they are quite smooth to the touch and have a nice mellow tone. Nice bright slap tone (though I’m less of a slapper and more of a thumb hammerer).

1 Like

Apparently the Fender rounds are made by D’Addario, FWIW. The stock rounds on my P-Bass are quite good, so I believe it.

1 Like

I believe you, I don’t think Fender make their own strings.

pretty certain.

they must have changed, then. 10 or 15 years ago, Fender strings were really terrible.

1 Like

Yeah mine sound and feel almost like EXL’s. I am guessing the D’Addario rumors are true.

1 Like