Best value base bass to upgrade

Great, thanks I’ll check it out. One thing I did read was that the packaging foam doubles as foam to raise the pick up. It does seem that there are pre-cut pieces for this, however no springs. I think the original Affinity control knobs are too small for the EMG pots they include so will need to enlarge the cavities on the knobs too.

3 Likes

Sorry I forgot about the knobs. You can buy replacement knobs cheap

3 Likes

Sweet, thanks for all your help today :+1:

3 Likes

Anytime. I’ve put EMG pickups in two basses and glad to pass along the help I’ve had in the past

3 Likes

Fender MIM of course.

1 Like

Had the same issue with my upgrade. I soldered the cables to the original input jack. I also used the foam and springs of the Squier pups as EMG doesn’t include any.

The knobs I used as a replacement are those:

1 Like

OK, great. Thanks for that. Lucky I took a photo of the input jack before I cut all the wires off as all the prongs look the same to me now. I managed to buys some items from the links that @Wombat-metal posted - and suprisingly the postage from the US was only $10 AUD which, for us, is cheap postage from the States. I hope mine turns out to look at good as yours (I think we have the same model and colour). :+1:t4:

2 Likes

BTW - did you keep the stock strings or upgrade them? I’ve got a new set of EB Slinky’s sitting here that were for another bass but I’ve decided against it now. Might put them on the upgrade at some point.

I did replace the strings with Daddario EXL170, not out of preference, but just to give them a try. I must admit I now spend most of my time on my Sandberg anyway :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That would b3 my choice too.

3 Likes

I installed the EMG Geezer PJ pickups on the Squier Affinity PJ. All seems to be working, which is great - just need to adjust the pickups to the right height. I’m sure I’ll have to make minor adjustments to get a sound that agrees with me but, as starting point, what measurements would you guys use from pickup to strings?

1 Like

AFAIK, Squier suggests a pickup height of 7/64" or 2.8mm for their standard pups on Affinity basses. With the Geezers you may have to go a bit lower (meaning a bigger gap) because of the output, but I’d say that’s a pretty good starting point.

1 Like

I generally start at :sweat_smile:
P - from E to G —— 7-6-6-5 64ths
J - E 7/64th — G - 5/6ths
All while fretting last fret.
If pole pieces are covered, subtract 1/64th from all above.

If EMG passives, reduce all another 64th sometimes.
Then use your ears from there.

1 Like

I just do it by sound from the start :slight_smile:

And feel. I hate the feeling when the pups are too close to the strings and it’s generally really obvious to me.

2 Likes

Ah, yeah - can you say that again in metric please :joy:

2 Likes

But seriously, thanks for the info. Good couple of suggestions here to start with. :+1:t4:

1 Like

No worries!

5 Likes

Thank you for that @MC-Canadastan .
I’m printing that out and it’s going on my shed wall for when I’m working on my Harley :+1:

1 Like

This is one very odd example where 64ths are easier to use than mm, unless you just make the heights in mm and forgo the more detailed 64ths

2 Likes

Thank you! Regarding the amount of good set up video and files which are not in metric system, you save me a lot of time :slight_smile:

3 Likes