Beyond Badass!

Just wondering if anyone has ever signed up to one of Joe Hubbard’s courses. He only seems to do a one year foundation course or a two year master course so they are quite an investment but this guy’s first student was Pino Paladino which made me sit up and pay attention.

1 Like

Where are the last 3 frets??? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well, to be honest I only created this chart for my own use and never expected to be sharing with others. The bass I had at the time had 21 frets, so that’s as far as I went.
It’s fairly easy to figure out the additional 3 frets though.

1 Like

@howard

As a person who also has been there done that I have to say I still love playing live with others. Before Corona I played in several ukulele jam sessions every week. Now it’s on Zoom but it is not quite the same vibe for me. The uke seems to be having a resurgence and when you get 30 - 40 individuals, all with the same mind set, playing and singing in the same room, it is intoxicating.
No pressure just fun and if you are not having fun you might as well move on.
Life is too short to dwell on the crap that is bound to get thrown your way.

Back in the 80s I had occasion to meet Bob Seger and somehow we got to talking about his life on the road. He told me that the money was fantastic but it was frustrating for him and he was tired of playing the same songs over and over and over again but was so controlled in what he played on stage due to contractual obligations he had little choice if he wanted the money. This was the inspiration for the song he wrote in the 70s called Turn The Page.
Listen to it and you will understand exactly what he meant.

Here is a link to that song for those interested:

I have played several instruments in my 60+ year musical journey, and played many concerts, and I have never lost my love for music and now I am learning Bass as of 2 months ago so here I go again.

I would say that it is not so much which instrument you play but the fact that you are playing/making music whether by yourself or with others. I believe music is universal. Get several people together in a park jamming and singing together and before you know it you will have a crowd watching and singing along. Their appreciation makes it all worthwhile, at least to me it does.
The only downside is when you gather a crowd of over 100 people and the police show up telling you that you need a permit. This has happened a few times.

6 Likes

I ‘finished’ Chord Tones tonight.
I say ‘finished’ but should say I made it through the course.
I am sure I will be going back to this invaluable resource for years to come.
I plan on taking nuggets out and focusing on them over mulitple days/weeks as part of practice.
The course is a LOT of info, and daunting at times until you realize you have all the time you need to keep coming back to key things any time you want.
Now to finish Ari’s first book before book 2 arrives!

4 Likes

Seems like a great course. I started it, need to get back to it. Learned a couple new patterns already.

2 Likes

Congrats @John_E!

Yes I refer to the lesson workbooks often. It’s a valuable resource that I’m sure I will use for years to come.

2 Likes

I need to revisit this course. I got tired of learning something then having to play it in the circle of 4th lawl.

2 Likes

Drudgery maybe but the method to that madness is you start learning the notes on the fretboard through repetition. And it bakes the patterns in your brain.

2 Likes

Absolutely true! I’d bet I’ve done the cycle of 4ths drill over 100 times and I can attest to the fact that it truly welds the location of notes on the fretboard into your brain.
No, not the most exciting thing to do at the start of each day (as I did), but well worth it if you want to be familiar with your fretboard.
Knowing (without thinking about it) where all the notes are on your fretboard is a perfect segue into sight reading, btw…

3 Likes

Has anyone tried any online courses by Federico Malaman? The bundle he offers looks amazing but the courses are in Italian with English subtitles. I am super interested but seems like a lot to pay for courses that may be hard to follow.

1 Like

Sounds like an opportunity to learn both bass and Italian at the same time. :wink:

3 Likes

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson

2 Likes

I ignored all of pretty negative comments about SBL not having focused learning path, and went that way. I can say Im pretty happy with decision I made since I learned many new things just from watching those beginner videos since I wanted to see what Scott is about. One thing is for certain, if I didnt do B2B beforehand some of the stuff would confuse me for sure.

But they have Players Path with levels and each level has recommended lessons one should do before trying to nail tunes, even if tunes are ez and you could play them without any knowledge.

I just like to know all of the details.

2 Likes

Hey @Growl id like to know a bit more about sbl… Im doing mark smiths scales course and its great im learning a lot but it is mostly just theory… Do you do a lot of learning songs on sbl is it a balance of theory and technique? What do you think?

2 Likes

The did not have the Player’s Patty when I signed up for SBL.
They had done that from the resounding feedback that nothing was organized, but came after I was too frustrated with the whole thing. I am sure it helps, but I still can’t get over how many words it takes to explain every single “most important thing you need to know and memorize”

I’m sure it works for a load of folks, as it is a very big and popular site. Maybe I am too much of a beginner to get things out of it. I am happy with Mark Smith / Ari Cap for now. Maybe in the future I will find the value in SBL.

3 Likes

I like that!!!

Just FYI, most people here will agree, Mark Smith is light years better than Scott Devine. Make your own decision, but I just want you to compare the two before you spend needless money.

4 Likes

Ye mark is excellent and I will probably do most if not all of his courses… I just didnt know whether it would compliment it learning a bit more about technique and learning songs… Im doing the scales course very slowly as im trying to take it all in and learn the scales learn fretboard ect im doing it like proper lessons once twice a week then practicing… I just thought something as well might be good.

Yes, I’m one of those people, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile: Mark Smith is good and I do watch a lot of his videos, but he talks a bit too fast for me, and doesn’t use enough graphics like Josh does.

Overall, I still think Josh’s teaching style is the best . . . :slight_smile:

Just my two cents.

6 Likes