Beyond Badass!

Could not agree more.

A lot of us have been waiting a LONG time for the follow up course to B2B from Josh.
Last I heard it was not going to be released this year(2021) :sob: :sob: :sob:

5 Likes

After 2 years of waiting for it, I’ve given up on any expectation of ever seeing a follow up to B2B. I’ve moved on.

1 Like

No, it would not compliment IMO.
If you want a compliment to Mark’s courses, try this…

It’s my compliment to his coures.
SBL will be a distraction to Mark…way too much.

As far as learning songs…I scour YouTube for songs I like that have been covered and have tabs/music with them. If I find one I like but it’s too hard, it goes in a folder for later (it will be easier one day). There are great resourses on YouTube, there are threads here on that.

Might not be your cup of tea musically, but the 50 Songs Challenge - BassBuzz Forum has been very interesting to me. Each song has a few components that work on your technique, without you even knowing it. Small new bites (string leaps, slow repetition, fast repetition, ID’ing a 12-bar blues, etc). @JoshFossgreen has (knowingly I assume) put together a song list that teaches as you play, not just about playing random songs from easy to hard. Each song I go “hmmm, so that’s the new little tricky thing, ok, let’s nail that”. I am on Hound Dog now, and see the 12-bar blues form, see the Root-Third-Fifth patterns (thanks to Mark/Ari for burning that into my skull), etc.

I LOVE Constatine because he has hundreds of covers at https://www.youtube.com/c/ConstantineIsslamow/videos and even more transcriptions at Bass Notes & Tab – Constantine's Bass There are loads of others.

Honestly I think the better compliment to the above are live (zoom) lessons with an actual person, to correct anything that isn’t quite right or to drive home those little tips/tricks folks learn along the way.

3 Likes

I was thinking about how hard this is for Josh. What’s in B2B is a perfectly complete beginner course to get you going. Then comes the ‘work’. The scales, the chord tones, the walking lines, etc. All very much more in depth, and very well covered by Mark. So why make another Mark site if you are Josh? So then what to make? I think that is a very tough question.

I think his videos he puts out are genrally interesting and fun, and I am glad to get to see him talk about basically anything and sprinkle trusty nuggets.

2 Likes

Agree 100%

thanks for advice @John_E… Im probably looking for that next b2b fix but its probably not out there… Im in the big school now lol…

2 Likes

Well there everything and its expanding daily, and thats something I like. Im that sort of person which will start with practice eight away but soon realize you cant go far without understanding how stuff works, and thats where theory comes into play.

Theres 15 day trial I think and their support is very kind. They even gave me another 15 days till I decided if its right for me. SBL will give you knowledge and encourage you to noodle yourself. If you still dont think you are ready to explore stuff yourself you should keep doing focused learning.

Right now theres live seminars with mentors where you can ask stuff, and then show them what you do so they can give you feedback.

Also theres many tools on site you can use for practice.

I dunno Im not here to promote SBL, but I appreciate some of things they do, especially charity events with bass giveaways.

Best thing for you would be to try it for yourself.

2 Likes

If you think Mark talks too fast, you should try one of Ariane Cap’s lessons. she talks at the speed of light.

1 Like

I guess I’m just slowing down in my old age, @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tell those rapid-speaking younger folks that my ears can’t hear that fast!

2 Likes

You can usually slow down videos btw. A lot of time i factually sped them up to get through the chit chat

Im doing one of Marks courses. Doing Josh’s first has certainly helped and Marks fill in on other areas Josh doesn’t cover and he has a head start on intermediate courses.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I also think Josh is the best online instructor I have come across (Waiting for that 2nd course if ever haha). I do Mark’s classes on talking bass. I tried players path on sbl and thought it was kinda boring. Has anyone tried Bass Freedom? I did a free class on ghost notes and it seemed pretty legit.

3 Likes

Also Luke MacIntosh (Become a Bassist) has put out a few good videos out these last few weeks. He’s always done good stuff and explains things nicely. These last ones are sort of in the B2B format as they have a slow, median and normal format. He also did a good one on Modes a while back which explains them quite good

1 Like

Nice – love a good ghost note exercise. Seems cool. I feel like more is more when it comes to lessons, so it’s always good to have other places to go when you get into more specific practice.

It’s been said before but bears repeating: The better you get at something, the harder it is to find a teacher. Whenever I get stuck on something, I go looking around for different teachers. You’ll get a good feel for what’ absolutely important in your technique that way, if they’re all saying the same thing – and you’ll probably have at least one who gives you an “a-ha moment”.

2 Likes

So true, the slap course I am taking surprised me at how much control I need over my fretting hand for muting. So I am working on muting without intentionally doing it. It is automatically helping me mute with my fretting hand better as I go.

Any repetition in various forms yields a higher chance of something clicking and sticking. I’ve been told the same things from various sax teachers, and then one day something sticks better, its either the teacher’s different approach or the continued practice or a combo of both I think.

2 Likes

Yep – that’s the trick. Actually wanting to do it when you do it :slight_smile:

Ghost notes are a wonderful practice for this, though. After a few months of resting my hands on the strings by default, and pressing down when I wanted to hit a note, my muting for things overall has gotten better. My fingers are at a muted position pretty much all the time when I’m not trying to get sound out of the bass, now. Another thing I’ve started to do is a very light palm “touch” when I get harmonics. Not what I’d call a palm mute – just a palm shush. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Muting is something I have to take to the next level. So far my basses have pretty much had Alder bodies. Or mahogany. Now I find with my Aerodyne (basswood) and my Sire (ash and strung through body) there’s a lot of sympathetic resonance in the strings. I’ve got to step up my game.

Course body wood could have nothing to do with it, but it’s noticable in these two instruments

2 Likes

@Wombat-metal I took my Aerodyne for a spin last night after new strings and resetup, and the very first thing I noticed is how much more sustain it has vs other basses. The notes ring a very very long time. Maybe due to the thin, light body? Less heft to deaden the vibration? In any event man I really loved it and now know which bass to grab for tunes with a lot of very long notes.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know what combination of factors it is, but she does sustain. My V7 is a good 4 pounds heavier and she does it too.

Fine instruments for sure

2 Likes