Billie Jean help 😫

Hi folks,
I’ve reached… and crossed over the infamous Billie Jean module.

I regularly work on the fingering for both hands and have gotten to a point I can play medium cleanly.

The issue is I do not sound like something Michael or anyone would want to dance to.

More like something the North Korean army would March to… THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP.

I’m playing with different fretting lifts and holds but can’t seem to find a way to make it smooth and melodic.

Ideas for what has worked? Thanks!

3 Likes

Check out this thread for lots of help.

5 Likes

Billie Jean was not one of my better attempts when I started, still isn’t. Try “anyone seen my baby” by the rolling stones. Easy bass line that’ll get your hands moving in the right direction.

The stones and ZZ top are two of the easier to learn on, then come back to BJ in a month or two. ZZ Top did some alternate drop D stuff like “I need you tonight.” Great drop D tune that’s slow and repetitive.

4 Likes

Thank you @MikeC. Will dive in :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Thanks for the recos. I’ll give them a go.

I found Suicide Blonde is a fun and easy song as well. Just 3 notes but includes a slide between G and A.

2 Likes

Have you tried playing flats near the neck, neck pickup, cutting treble and sponge near the bridge ?