Billie Jean is a Wicked Mistress

I generally try to avoid that abbreviation. :rofl:

9 Likes

Good point, well made :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for this post. I was under the impression that it only got more difficult from here on in. I had Flash back to the conning officer calmly ordering up ā€œall stop!ā€ Lol
I try it every so often. Havenā€™t even made it through the slow workout yet :frowning:
Definitely not giving up on it though. Iā€™m wading through the early parts of the music theory lessons. Lovin the course though! Awesomeā€¦

7 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well I started the the course on the 13th of April. However I have been on the forum for a wee bit longer. So BJ was always going to be the one to fear.
Bottom line is I can do BJ on the slow workout. I ran the lesson 3 times before I got a straight run with no mistakes and Iā€™ve no intention of going further at this stage. Iā€™m on a high and I aint bursting that bubble.
Iā€™ve been doing the first two of Joshā€™s Five finger exercise for over a month now, mainly on whatever I could get my hands on Ukulele, Guitar and the odd bass. Now that I have a P Iā€™m doing it all on the Bass.
I was less apprehensive when I got married than tackling BJ. :slight_smile:
I gave myself a day to go through the full lessons without the Bass in my hands, just to get my head round it. Well by lunchtime I was going through bass withdrawal and started doing the fingering of the six notes right up until bedtime and slept on it. Yesterday morning I started again from the beginning, and by late afternoon, I was ready for the slow workout.
When I finally got it right I was ecstatic, my mood was lifted so much I felt as if my Prozac had been doubled. @JoshFossgreen you are held in very high esteem within our home.
This morning I went back to the slow workout and a couple of 4,4,4ā€™s instead of 4,4, 2ā€™s but by the final run all smooth.
So now Iā€™m adding BJ slow workout to my daily finger exercises, then on to the next lesson. I donā€™t know when Iā€™ll attempt the the medium and fast workouts, Iā€™m just enjoying the riding on the crest of the wave.
So itā€™s also a big thank you to all of those in the forum who have shared their BJ experiences, you guys n gals are the best. Josh your a wizard. :mage:

11 Likes

I know what you mean @Jamietashi . . . :grin:

I think I got it right just once, but it was only for a minute or so! :wink:

Cheers and keep up the good fight, Joe

5 Likes

Congrats @Jamietashi. Good job, keep it up, you are a shredder in the making!!:+1:t2:

4 Likes

Got a little help while working on Billie Jean todayā€¦

14 Likes

We need more bass cats. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

:smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

I totally wasnā€™t up yesterday until 2:30 just because I really wanted to get billy jean at least at slow right. No, no, no. Mustā€™ve been somebody else.
Well at least I got the slow part right and was able to play along for most of the medium speed.

@Theron what a cute cat. Like @peterhuppertz says: we need more bass cats!
One of mine chills on the amp during lessons. Oh no! Now I stopped playing for too long and sheā€™s up and about.

10 Likes

Bass Dogs will do just fine for me.

Meet my daughters dog. Sirius Black,when he was a pup.

10 Likes

And all growed up!!! :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

9 Likes

I donā€™t want to hurt anyones feelings, but did you try to play the bass line with the octave shape like mentioned by Scott from his self titled bass lessons? If you nailed it before you could try to get to the next level :joy:

Skip the blabla and go to 02:10

Cheers!

3 Likes

It takes more than that to hurt our feelings, Tim. :laughing:

Yes, that is known in these circles. There are a few more vids on the octave thing on the downbeat, one of them has made its way to this forum too.

As a side note, i posit that I have grown very tired of having to cut through Scottā€™s life stories waiting until he gets to the meat. :rofl:

4 Likes

I tried it, laughed, and never tried it again.

I would have to like a song a lot more than I like Billie Jean to go through and get that one up to speed. It was almost physically painful the first time I tried it with the octave :slight_smile:

I find the riff without the octave a great warmup though.

5 Likes

Yeah 2:10 might actually be a record for brevity :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I donā€™t want to break community guidelines so Iā€™ll just say it like this: I am SO happy a teacher like Josh made a bass course.

8 Likes

@juli0r me too :innocent:

Billie Jean is, especially with the octave shape, a super duper strength and endurance exercise for me. Playing it for two weeks now. It really helps on so many levels. But I canā€™t hear it anymore haha :scream:

4 Likes

Hereā€™s the man himself clearly playing that octave for when youā€™re ready to level up haha

7 Likes