Billie Jean is a Wicked Mistress

He’s amazing. He’s fun to watch slap because he basically beats the crap out of the bass.

3 Likes

LOL well put! That’s exactly why I cancelled my subscription at SBL before my 14 day free trial ended. That, and he spends more time showing off how good he plays than he does actually teaching.

However, I do still enjoy his YouTube videos every now and then.

5 Likes

I think the way I would put it is Scott is obviously quite knowledgeable and talented and seems like a great guy to grab a beer with and talk about bass. Or watch entertaining videos about bass. But his teaching style was less effective than Mark Smith or Josh for me.

8 Likes

Mark Smith occasionally talks about his long time friendship with Scott, on his weekly live feeds, and refers to him in exactly that way; a great guy to have a few beers with.

5 Likes

What?! I’ve gotta learn Billie Jean with the octave? But I’ve only just got it working without!!!

Arrghhhhh!!

It’s the riff that just keeps on giving.

6 Likes

Has anybody looked into Low End University?
There are some GREAT strengthening and fly finger exercises in there. Very helpful for building strength and dexterity in my weakest finger, my Ring finger.

Does wonders for the Pinky and whole hand as well.

5 Likes

Everthing @PamPurrs said about Billie Jean and more.
I feel haunted by her, I only managed the slow workout without mistakes once out of nine attempts. Then I ran as fast as I could into Ska.
I added the rift to my finger exercise and she is smoothing out, but I’ve also been having fun with her also, sorta flirting :slight_smile: . I have a Zoom RP 55 for guitar, it’s drums are great and I’m sure as you can imagine not all is suited to bass. I have ordered Pam’s recommendation again and ordered from Amazon. Delivery date “? :crystal_ball: ?” . Nice review on Amazon Pam. :slight_smile:
So in the meantime, I’m having fun with the RP55 and moving the riff all over the neck, sort of what @JoshFossgreen was explaining. How low can you go for Michael to drop down to. Sorry my childish humour. :slight_smile:
The Ska has had me on a three day binge, taking the riff and seeing what songs it can be fitted into. So I’m still on lesson two of #5. I’m however having GREAT FUN
Thanks Folks, all your tips have made it all the more fun.

7 Likes

I have an RP100 I was playing with before I got my Zoom B1Four. It’s fun. Does the trick, it’s just way harder to figure out then the Zoom. I was about to get a Digitech BP90 because I had the Original digitech RP-1 for my guitar back in the early 90s because at the time it was the best thing out.

Zoom has by far surpassed anything digitech does at this level of processor. They may still do goo Studio quality rack mount stuff tho.

If you are enjoying the RP55, you will just love your Zoom

2 Likes

Oops! I got mixed up. I have the Digitech RP55. not Zoom. :joy:

2 Likes

I knew what ya meant :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the motivation @eric.kiser. I just started Module 4 lesson 6, and let me tell you, my left hand is on :fire: :smiley: This is a very helpful forum topic and I appreciate the stories. It’s good to know i’m not alone on this one…she’s not my lover, she’s just a girl…dammit it’s in my head now!!!

3 Likes

Hey, that’s a really fun song. I dont have the speed up to play it completely through though. Serious hand fatigue.
If you want to play the whole song with, for lack of a better term, Chorus Fills. There’s a good bass tutorial on YouTube by Yellow Tabs. Fun stuff

4 Likes

Welcome to bass buzz @scooterg56

2 Likes

I have a funny Billie Jean story from today. I got to that lesson earlier this week and couldn’t really play it even slowed way down. Or rather, I could kind of play it slow, but slowing it down even slower made it worse, not better. No matter.

Today in my (online) lesson, my teacher (who used to be my sax teacher, so we’ve had a long relationship) near the end asked me to show him what I was working on that was fun. I said, “I learned the bass line to Billie Jean, but I can’t actually play it,” so he was like, “Oh, how does it go?” and I told him the notes…and then proceeded to play it the best I ever have (by far). I usually underperform in lessons so that was a surprise! I think sometimes we get better at things by not playing them for a bit.

8 Likes

That’s a great story @tamaraster, we do get it later after letting go a bit. I started it a couple nights ago, didn’t play the slow workout and not only has it been in my head, but I’ve heard the song on the radio all week! It’s truly haunting me! I “play” it with my left hand on air bass, but i’m not jumping in until Monday.

4 Likes

Wise words. While I am still having fun letting Billie Jean pummel me, I still have not managed to teach my fingers how to moonwalk to the next module. Time to move on and revisit her at a later time.

6 Likes

Hi @juli0r,
Maybe the cat likes the smooth tones emanating from its warmth.:joy::joy::+1:

2 Likes

Yep, best thing to do

3 Likes

I completed the Billie Jean fast workout, but now this part of my hand wants to fall off

8 Likes

You are not alone. :rofl:

3 Likes