Billie Jean's not my girl... but her riff is

Super pumped that I just got through the fast workout. Wow was that intense. This was the first thing that took actual practice outside the lessons, but it was worth it. My left forearm burns with a happy burn.

Keeping bassing everybody!

21 Likes

Congrats.
We’ll add your name to the Billie Jean statue out behind the student lounge.

15 Likes

On it now - and even as an experienced guitarist turned newbie bass player, its a bit challenging. Definitely the first real challenge in the course. Having fun with it. Congrats on getting it down! :partying_face:

3 Likes

I also came from guitar to bass. So when I learned how physical my playing had to be on bass was the day I became a better bassist.

Or… at least one with more character in my tone when playing. I never looked back the day I bullied that bass. Now I demand his lunch money every time I play.

I now have 3 cents but that’s because going past the first 5 frets makes you count on your fingers like a toddler and I’d rather be able to count fluently. :woozy_face:

1 Like

It’s a song later on in the #50-songs-challenge too. Going to be a finger burner to play the entire song!

3 Likes

I remember getting really frustrated with the fast workout on this song when I first made an attempt at it earlier in the course, and I too wasn’t exactly new to playing. It was the last thing I did before my bedtime routine that night, and the first thing I attempted practicing the next morning. For whatever reason, sleeping on it made a huge difference.

Now, a lot like @PamPurrs, its found its way into my warm-up routine several weeks later. For anyone brave enough to learn it, I promise you can do it! Never give up!

5 Likes

Here’s Charles crushing us all at this song :laughing:

https://youtu.be/YLBoOHZZ6OY

7 Likes

Love this :heart:

2 Likes

Whew! He made it by .03 seconds! He had me worried, there near the end. :open_mouth: :wink:

4 Likes

Love his Herr Schwarz :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That’s a Lefay d-tuner (has d-tune in all 4 tuning pegs), and he has 2 of them

2 Likes

Yes, I think it is basically the Le Fay Herr Schwarz model with customized detuners… but I might be wrong :wink:

(And sorry, I hadn’t realized this was a month-old thread :crazy_face:)

3 Likes

LOL I can’t even do the slow workout right now

2 Likes

Hang in there ma man!

2 Likes

I haven’t started B2B yet but figured since you guys were talking about the riff to Billie Jean, I might want to see what the fuss was about. I downloaded the tab and worked on it about 15 minutes last night. While I am not up to tempo and it is kinda sloppy right now, I was able to do the intro and my wife immediately asked me, “When the hell did you learn that?” It seems to be a real finger burner. 15 minutes was about all I could take. I’ll continue working on it and build endurance and accuracy over time.

1 Like

Yes it is, which is why it’s one of my daily warmup riffs.

1 Like

Made my hand ache

I can’t even do the slow workout

1 Like

It will come to you. Patience, Grasshopper :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Well this just sent me down a serious rabbit hole!

1 Like