Billy Jean

Hey there!!!

So nailed medium tempo but OMG!!!

That fast tempo is insane.

Any tips on how to get quick in a hurry???

TYSM!!!

3 Likes

Play it slow til perfect, then increase by 2bpm, repeat, then increase by 2bpm, repeat etc.
But make sure you have it nailed at each tempo.

To play fast, you play slow first…over and over and over.

8 Likes

Congrats on nailing the medium BJ workout. You are well on the road to playing the fast workout.

But don’t be in a rush to get faster. It comes naturally with time.

Many, if not most, BassBuzzers take Josh’s advice and move on to next lessons, even if BJ remains unmastered.

Josh’s teaching methods empower students to learn additional techniques that strengthen hands and expand minds. As such, students routinely return to BJ as a continuing exercise that is eventually mastered.

Keep up the good work and it will pay off. Patience, persistence and practice is the way.

5 Likes

I appreciate the support!
And i’ll do just what you suggested….
TYSM.

It’s such an awesome feeling to just nail that bass line!!!

Hell yeah!!!

5 Likes

I will definitely do that!!!
TY!!!
And just wondering…do you know what’s the BPM for BJ’s medium tempo.
That way i can bump it up by 2 BPM on my metronome!!!
TYSM for the awesome advice!!!

2 Likes

Feels like 80ish. You can play it and use a “tap tempo” feature in most metronome apps to get more accurate. That’s what I just did but had to close the tune to tap the beat so may be off a bit.

3 Likes

TY!!!

I appreciate the help!!!’

2 Likes

I look at BJ as sort of a smack upside the head. The first couple modules are easy and all of a sudden, this beast of a line hits you. However, I had no problems with BJ and use it as a warm up. My fingers do not like “Some Kind of Wonderful” which comes later. It sounds easy if you listen to it but my fingers do not like it at all. Those shuffling 8th notes twist my fingers up. I can get the basic rhythm down but have not yet conquered it at full tempo. I think Josh does BJ early on to give us a gauge for later when we come back to it and it is easy. Keeps us honest as they say.

2 Likes

Don’t deliberately sit and try to practice it for more than 10 mins. Add it as a warm up exercise to your practice and wait a week for the magic to happen. This is my method for anything I am struggling with. If you are doing professional work and can’t wait for results, then you will need to reassess

5 Likes

Swing is darn impossible if any tension at all. It’s all about a relaxed feel. If anything, try laying back a bit Vs speeding up too fast and you may find your right in the pocket.

3 Likes

I did notice as I tensed up, I slowed down.

3 Likes

That’ll happen every time.

A shuffle feel is an organic thing, very much like a musical heartbeat. You gotta relax and feel it.

Kicking back and just listening to the actual song a few times can work wonders for catching the groove.

4 Likes

It certainly is in both accounts and strangely something I enjoy playing

2 Likes