Bridge Question - How Much Mass Makes A Difference?

Early 90’s Music Man Stingray has this on the bridge then the HH version (Sabre) has it too, it’s called Flea Bridge after the artist I guess. In 93 they put them on the Sterling Model, no not the Sterling by Music Man but Ernie Ball’s son, Sterling, who has his own line of bass. It’s a slimmer body bass with narrower, faster slimmer neck 1.5” width at the nut (jazz profile) and very aggressive tone, with some fun electronics. Really cool bridge, as they stamped the serial number on the bridge instead of the neckplate.

I have a few MusicMan with Flea bridges.
94 ( first production year) ENMM Sterling.

White one, EBMM Classic Reissued
Through body string, slab body birdseye maple neck.

EBMM Sabre reissued
The bass is slightly lighter than a CyberTruck but plays really well.

1 Like

Do I need that? I guess the answer would be: no!?

2 Likes

Those are badass. I’ve fallen in love with the Stingray HH, despite my initial assumption that it’d be a jazz bass for me.

The Sterling (sub) that I have has the slimmer profile neck, maybe not as slim as the sabre I don’t know. I did try an Ernie Ball Stingray, and while you could feel the quality, I liked the neck on my cheapie a lot better.

2 Likes

Looks like you can setup the pad pressure for each string with its own screw ? Am I right ?

3 Likes

Yes @terb

Important!!!
When you get this before installing anything please take a minute to file off the sharp corners of each tab.

I’ll repeat, file off the sharp corner of each tab.

5 Likes

I asked my luthier about this, and he told me that the stock Fender bridge is usually ok, but if you REALLY dig in, he’s seen cases where the setup can drift.

1 Like

There’s really nothing wrong with it; as flimsy as it looks it’s more than up to the job. I primarily only replace bridges for aesthetic reasons, repair, or changing the bass balance; and they are the lesser half of that last one (behind replacing the tuning machines).

And the stock Fender L-frame is miles ahead of a Tune-o-Matic or Trapeze.

2 Likes

Any thoughts generally on the G&L locking bridge?

1 Like

Music man bridge design is much better than fender G&L bridge is pretty much Leo’s best bridge.

If you come across one the Fender Elite bridge is probably the best bridge with Fender logo on it. Of course, they don’t make it, it’s made in Germany.

2 Likes

I always liked the MM bridge on the Stingrays. Looks cool too.

1 Like

Ernie Ball credited the crisps and clean tone of the B string on the design of the bridge.

I think it really is one of the best looking bridges.

1 Like

Maybe for this guy, but how hard are you playing to affect the setup?

2 Likes

Fender Mute has been around a while too. Some bass bridges, like the Mustang, can use it, and there are different designs of the mute. This is an old one

2 Likes

Like I said file off the sharp corners. I work with extremely sharp knives for decades I hardly cut myself. The first time I use this mute kit ripped my finger tips open like San Andres. :joy:

4 Likes

The bridge on my EBMM Cutlass P bass is seriously high-mass, almost as much as my Mayones-designed bridge.

1 Like

Ouch

Me? I have a light touch. I have a stock fender bridge on my Squire and a Hipshot High Mass on my Partscaster P-Bass.