Bridge Replacement

I have a 4 string Peavey Grind bass. I need to replace my bridge. Would a KSM 4-String Black with Black Bolts – Slotted be a direct fit.

2 Likes

Most bases have a standard bridge hole pattern so you can replace and interchange bridges.
I would expect the Peavy to have the standard bridge, if it is a single pc bridge. Some peaveys have single saddle bridges, but dont think the grind does.

It should fit, it is usually totally cheap, no name basses with cheaply made bridges exclusive to that bass.
This is usally an undesireable feature in a bass, and if you watch a lot of YT videos of bass reviews where they often mention if it is the standard bridge hole pattern or not, and when not, they often ADVISE about that, as a caution before you buy.
If you dont plan to upgrade the bridge that might not bother somebody, especially when buying a cheap first bass.

I do not know that bridge, but it should have specs about the hole alignment. If it does not say Standard, and only gives measurements, then look up some standard bridges and compare the hole dimensions.

Check oit a hipshot kick ass bridge. Or any bridge that says P bass or J bass, as that is the standard

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thank you for the advise here is a picture of the bridge on my bass.

2 Likes

That’s not a “standard” screw pattern. The “standard” is a Fender-style pattern which typically is 5 screws by the string retainer, on the far side of the bridge). However, I have a Peavey Milestone, which has a Fender-style bridge, but a Peavey-style screw pattern (4 in the corners, like yours). A bridge with a Fender-style screw pattern would fit, but you would need to drill some extra holes.

EDIT: Your KSM bridge has a modified Fender-ish screw layout of 5 holes with the two outer screws moved forward of the three middle ones. Drilling will be necessary.

2 Likes

Which model is the fender bridge

1 Like

@91perezfernando
Something like this:

or this

2 Likes

ALSO: The more I poke around, the more it seems that Peavey uses a whole bunch of different bridges on its basses. I note at least 3 different screw patterns. Unless you get a 1:1 replacement, you’ll always have to drill holes.

2 Likes

I would measure your hole placement and shop around.
Better yet, call Peavy and ask them if any replacements are compatible, or buy one from Peavy.

Why do you need to replace the bridge? @91perezfernando

2 Likes

I tightened it too much and it broke

1 Like

@91perezfernando , the whole saddle broke? Or just the screw?

If just the screw, you can re-tap the hole and replace the screw. Based on this picture, to me it looks like you need a small metric set screw, perhaps one size up from the one that was there so that it grabs more meat. Then, you take the appropriate size tap and re-thread the hole. It’s a pretty simple op. That is, of course, if the saddle is in one piece.

EDIT: in addition to the tap, you need the appropriate size drill bit. You can find a metric and imperial tap chart here:
tap drill chart 06.pdf (76.4 KB)
This gives you tap sizes and appropriate drill diameters. You need to measure one of the existing set screws and go one size up.

3 Likes

What @MC-Canadastan said, or make it a 3-string.

2 Likes