Broken truss rod in bad deal. What can I do?

@John_E

Thanks for the videos. I would love to try it out but the repair kit cost more than half of what a replacement is and they are specific to Gibson and Fender. Mine you the G&L (another Leo creation) does share a lot of similar measurements to Fender.

I will look into the 3in1 solution you mentioned. Thanks for that.

1 Like

Google Daveā€™s World of Fun Stuff on YouTube. Heā€™s a part time luthier out of Toronto. Thereā€™s a trick he uses where he heats the neck to soften up the glue and unseize a truss rod.

2 Likes

heated the neck?

2 Likes

Well if thats the case, and neck is done for you could try to learn on it and fix it yourself. If not, you will have to get new neck anyway?

Sometimes I feel bad for you across the globe. Every minute of some techs time is so expensive for you guys.

Of course. Fecking autocorrect

EDIT correctedā€¦ manually

1 Like

@MC-Canadastan and @Growl

Iā€™m very familiar with Dave. Been watching him for years now and learned a lot from his videos. Would be nice to take it to him but 1. I live too far from him and 2. If its going to cost a few hundred to fix I might as well get it replaced if I can raise the cash.

I remember that episode. Pretty intense set up. Iā€™d try something like That but the equipment isnā€™t cheap and I donā€™t think I have his expertise. If the bass was a tribute version or a sub $750 bass I might have been more willing to play around with it but they go for $2500+ new and $1500+ used.

1 Like

Holy sh!t! I never made the connection that this was one of their high end basses.

You said you are in a rural area but what part of the world are you in?

I believe he lives in the Canadian sticks. I live in a smallish city here, and getting stuff and services is super difficult sometimes. I can only imagine what it would be like in rural Canada these days. I remember it was difficult enough back in normal times, when my folks still had their farm.

BTW. Would not a fender-sized neck fit a G&L?

1 Like

Yup thatā€™s why I am caught in a bit of a pickle. If I get it repaired it is a worthy bass but because I have been burnt on the deal it sours the joy of owning it. I know it might sound shallow or prideful but I know how I am.

@MC-Canadastan

Yes Iā€™m in the sticks in Ontario and things are a bit harder to come by when it comes to fulfilling GAS. I should take that as a helpful hint to stop buying things and play a lot more. Lol.

As far as neck alternatives, G&L are 6 bolt necks and Fender necks are very different to even come close to a fit and getting a custom made will cost as much as an OEM.

I am coming down to 2 options. Put the bass up for sale on Reverb with full disclosure of the situation (not sure if people go for those opportunities) or repair it with G&L and decide whether I want a rosewood or maple neck (which one do you guys like on a clear finish?)

The only reason I donā€™t see a local luthier as an option is if the repair will cost $400+ I might as well get a new OEM neck.

Sorry for the repetition.

3 Likes

I find when I get a bass with something odd about it I was unaware of that when I conquer it it becomes even more attractive to me, knowing I put an instrument back in good repair.

3 Likes

You will lose a TON of money.

I would still make a trip to a local luthier one day for a second opinion (either free or give him $20 for his trouble) before you do anything. If this were a $300 bass I would say something different.

I will try to adopt this mentality. Thanks.

I know Reverb is not a great solution. Just thought someone in the States would benefit from my mishap. I am not very fond of the site cause I find everything available to ship to Canada is way over priced. Just my opinion. Iā€™m sure many of you may have had much better luck.

If I have a chance to go to a luthier some time soon I will. Iā€™ll call around so its not a wasted trip.

Thanks everyone for the positive outlook on this not so positive event.

3 Likes

Yeah try and find someone that will look at it on the spot and understand the situation before going there, etc.
OR, just thinking, try and find a reputable one that might be willing to Zoom with you.
A simple convo of try this, let me see that might be a 'oh, its this" or ā€œoh, youā€™re Fā€™edā€.

Lol. Ya thatā€™s a good idea. It will also move this whole situation along faster.

I donā€™t know where in the Peopleā€™s Glorious Republic of Onterrible you are, @SubsonicRob , Iā€™m in Guelph, and thereā€™s a reputedly decent luthier in KW. If you are Muskoka ways, @Celticstar may provide you with a good contact.

Iā€™m on the east end. North of Tweed. So Iā€™m guessing even Dave would be closer to me. Guelph is a good place to get a lot of second hand basses from what I see on Kijiji. Been tempted to drive out a couple of times.

1 Like

If something interests you, let me know.

1 Like

Thanks.

Been trying to thin the herd, as they say, but I seem to keep filling the void at the same time. lol

1 Like

I just realized the you me and @MC-Canadastan form a Bermuda triangle of Bass players in Ontario :rofl: :rofl:

Unfortunately you and I are in the same boat when it comes to finding decent music store/luthier.
The only store of merit I am aware of that is close to you would be this one in Belleville.

Long & McQuade
28 Roy Boulevard
Belleville, Ontario.
Phone: (343) 600-0124

Give them a call and see what they have to say.
A little further west is the Long & McQuade store in Pickering/Ajax. That is where I purchased my Yamaha TRBX304. Very friendly people to deal with and quick service.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Ill see if they have an in-house luthier. I use to know one that worked for them but he has since moved out east. He was a great bass player too. As far as I know they have been sending a couple of guys around to their shops throughout southern Ontario but donā€™t quote me on that.

2 Likes