Broken truss rod in bad deal. What can I do?

What’s Toronto like for music stores? It has a pretty cultural reputation in the US but that could of course be bogus; never been there myself. Still might be a fun day trip or something if close enough.

1 Like

Toronto is a great city, it’s culturally entertaining, kind of like New York except its clean and the people are polite and friendly.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s exactly what I had heard but hadn’t been there myself.

1 Like

Are we thinking of the same place: big Canadian city, north shore of Lake Ontario, has the CN Tower? Because other than the overall politeness (true!) it’s frankly a bit of a dump with some nicer areas. There are a number of cultural things going on and there’s a few places to see, but frankly, if it rowed out into the lake and floated down the St. Lawrence, it wouldn’t be a great loss. I’m speaking as someone who lived there and still has family there too.

OK. full disclosure, I dislike TO intensely: the traffic, the crappy public transit system, the permanent construction and dug up roads and the fact that they shut down the rotating stage at Ontario Place as well as tearing down Exhibition Stadium. I have some great memories from that place, but man, I can’t understand people wanting to spend time, let alone live there.

3 Likes

I was born in the Bronx, it’s a matter of perspective.

5 Likes

You’ll want to visit Remenyi House of Music: https://remenyi.com and the main Long & McQuade store at 925 Bloor St. (About Us | Long & McQuade Musical Instruments).

Steve’s on Queen St. is a pretty good place too (https://www.stevesmusic.com/en/home)

I’ve heard good things about Tundra Music on Jones Ave. as well, but never went: https://www.tundramusic.com

1 Like

I’d politely disagree with @MC-Canadastan. If you’re thinking of moving to Canada then Toronto is great, in fact anywhere in Ontario. It really is the jewel of Canada.
Don’t even bother looking at British Columbia. It’s just a bunch of small hick redneck towns nestled in the mountains. No culture, no fine dining. The only thing going for it is the great outdoors, skiing, mountain biking etc. Crappy stuff that won’t interest most people.

5 Likes

@howard @Wombat-metal

I have lived in a few continents and a few more towns and cities. Toronto use to have a good music scene and some great places to shop and hang. Things changed in my eyes. I have been to many places that I think have better choices but that’s just my take on it.

@MC-Canadastan

I was typing my post as yours popped up. I understand your point. Kind of why I think I’d rather send the G&L back to Cali for repair instead of making the trip to TO. But I have not made my mind up yet.

2 Likes

:rofl:

(can’t fool me, I’m from the PNW :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

@Barney

You are right. I don’t miss it at all.

As risky as the ride through the mountains can be, it is an experience I would do again and again.

2 Likes

I live in the PNW just across the strait from Victoria. I love the area and people. And I see eagles most days. Just can’t find a music shop

1 Like

Spent a lot of time in Toronto when in school in Rochester at RIT. Drinking age was lower there then but the real attraction was the amazing music stores for vinyl. They had all the UK imports (was a big Kate Bush fan back then) and loads of cool stuff you couldn’t find in the states. Plus back then the exchange rate was in the dollar’s favor. Sadly, that was 30+ years ago and haven’t been back since.

2 Likes

The Vinyl Museum, A&A, Sam’s and more. Every place has its golden era.

2 Likes

Not bad but the prices are a lot higher than the US.
The best price for your trbx604 is $834 right now. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wow. I really lucked into a deal on mine

They run about $560US new here, I got mine for about $325 used :slight_smile:

I like it more than most $1500+ basses I have tried. All but one, in fact, and that one is basically just a more premium version of the same basic bass.

Looks like the used price has come up a little but not much. The shipping crunch to North America must be really bad.

1 Like

Ah the good old days.

There used to be a place known as The Village.
It was just one street (Markham Street) that used to be closed off to traffic every weekend and was a giant street party. This was back in the 60’s and early 70’s. Lots of street musicians the likes of Gordon Lightfoot and his good buddy Bob Dylan were a constant attraction. Back in those days it was all about the music and there was no charge. Lots of memories :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This video might be of interest to you.
Warning: it’s long but you can jump through to the interesting bits.

In your situation I think I might be inclined to give this a go.
Worse case scenario is you mess up the neck and have to replace it entirely, which is what you’re looking at as a solution anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks. I actually watched this one sometime ago. I don’t think I am skilled enough to remove a fretboard and then get it back into place properly.

I am mostly a Warwick and Fender player. The G&L was going to be a new adventure but so far it has not been that exciting.

4 Likes

Well, you know, excitement comes in different forms.

2 Likes

Sounds like every major city in the US to me. Maybe not with the politeness, but all the rest.

My mother is from the Bronx. I have never been. Great place, right.