Bronco Replacement PUP wiring help

Greetings, I don’t post much but value the stuff I read from all of you. Question for any modders here. I haven’t done any pick up replacements on guitars or bass in over a dozen years and I want to replace the PUP in my Bronco with a Fleor hot rails. I’m stumped over what wire to put where as the Bronco only has a black and white wire coming from it’s pup.

I’ll attach pics of the Fleor wires and the wiring set up on the Bronco. Hard to see maybe but the red and white are twisted together and the green has a length of bare wire, I’m thinking I need to tape that up.

I’ve looked elsewhere online but can’t find a definitive diagram and I only belong to this forum ( it’s the best one out there hands down) Thanks for any assistance.

1 Like

Your replacement pickup is a humbucker (dual coil) replacement for the Bronco. Conventional wiring is to put the two coils in series. Generic wiring would be the black and white leads are soldered together and taped, the red lead is the signal (usually goes to the center terminal on the volume pot) and the green lead is ground (goes to pot housing).

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for the advice. And here I thought the black is always the ground not the green one thanks. I’ll give this a try tomorrow.

1 Like

Actually, you could connect the red and the green together and use the white as hot and the black as ground. Electrically it would be the same, since it makes no difference what order the two coils are in. This is probably why the red and the green wires were twisted together.

1 Like

On Seymour Duncan guitar humbuckers, generally you twist the red and white together (or wire them to a coil split switch), black is signal, green is ground. But they wire their bass MM pickup differently.

2 Likes

This gives me plenty to go on. Thanks spidey9 and howard, much appreciated.

1 Like