BtB

Good Morning,

I’ve been actively playing bass for 35+ years, in a ska and reggae band. The majority of what I do is play the songs we play without ever seeking to really improve my playing/knowledge, beyond what I already know. I know the basic Major and Minor Scales, and use them, but that’s about it. I feel very limited in my knowledge and oftentimes in my performance, flowing on the neck. Now, in my middle+ ages, I’m hungry for improvement. I’ve already been impressed by the BassBuzz teaching style in the free courses I’ve found on YouTube.

Long story short (cut to the chase), I’m looking for a structured “course” that can provide basics (scales, arpeggios, practice drills, etc.). While the Beginner to Badass course list includes some (beginner) videos that will not be much help to me (i.e. how to hang the guitar using the strap), I see there are many videos that may be right up my alley, and address the topics I mentioned above.

I don’t mind paying the $200 for the course, as that sounds like a very reasonable cost, but I want to make sure I’m in the right place.

• Am I in the right place?
  • There is so much free content on YouTube, but it feels very random (not in course format). Are the videos in the “course” all included, and can be found randomly, on YouTube, or are there videos in the course which cannot be found on YouTube?
  • In other words, is the course “worth it” for somebody like me, in your opinion?

Thanks!

Hossinn

7 Likes

in short: yes you are in the right place.

B2B is a very well structured, cumulative course that builds on previous lessons and flows together very well. nothing feels random or like the YT alogrithm is just tossing stuff your way without consideration for context.

the first couple of modules may not be of much value to you (tho i do suggest going through them anyway) but once it gets into the second third of the course i think you will be getting exactly what you are looking for.

7 Likes

Absolutely, man. Many players with previous and even current experience find a ton to learn in B2B.

Josh’s free courses are fun and wacky in presentation on YouTube because…YouTube. Content creators there have to make a splashy splash to keep up with/rise above the noise. But B2B is not that.

B2B teaches proper technique and music theory that’s applicable to any type of music. And, speaking of which, Josh uses a wide variety of genres and tunes to teach/illustrate how techniques and theories actually apply to knowing what/how/why to play well.

Lessons introduce you to stuff that might seem familiar and even trivially easy at first glance; but, if so, you soon find out that they actually take you out of your comfort zone so you must stretch to learn. It’s truly a great way to polish and learn things you might never have tried in decades of gigging.

5 Likes

There’s a 180-day money-back guarantee, just give it a try :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you for your quick replies. I’m gonna jump in. Thanks for having me.

Hossinn

4 Likes

Welcome aboard and enjoy the course, it’s awesome. Make sure you download all the backing tracks. Given you’ve got experience, you’ll no doubt be able to quickly adapt to the fast workouts and you can loop them on your PC and just groove along :metal::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Study bass is much more theory focused and is free except you may want to give a love offering. It may expand your base of knowledge.

1 Like

Thank you. I will download the docs!

Appreciate it. I’ll check it all out!

Hello @Hossinn ,

Where did the name originate ? How long did you say you were playing in Reggae / SKA bands?

Welcome to the tribe !! It’s been mentioned before in this thread that the first few modes might be elementary for you but there are a few hidden tricks and tips that are note worthy in those modes.

Whats very useful here on the buzz , for me anyway , the verity of styles throughout each mode. Plus, each song offers a slow , medium , and at tempo option. The reason that I am bringing up this point is that we are know song structures are the “same” for each song.

What the H E Double Hockey Sticks does that mean??? We as bad A$$ bass players use patterns throughout every song while we hold down the low end. So when you practice a song in Mode 10 , you begin to identify a pattern , muscle memory takes over , and you are on you way. Well guess what , there are 10+ other songs in that key that use the same or VERY similar pattern and muscle memory will once again prevail. Example: Bob Dylan’s Knockin On Heavens Door is G > D Am > Am - G > D > C > C and Neil Young’s Helpless is G > D > C > C

My point is this , @JoshFossgreen explains patterns , options , and fills very well. This gives you the proper tools for adding your own flavor on the C of Dylan’s or Young’s tune. Plus, you will being to hear the kick drum in a completely different tone then before you began driving into the buzz.

The forum and 50 song challenges are all byproducts of the buzz. BUT they are so beneficial!! Every question that I have ever asked in the forum , folks reply with all kinds of perspectives.

So again , welcome aboard and keep us updated as you move through the course

Be Well ,
Cheers

4 Likes

Hi Travis,

Thanks so much for the welcome and for sharing some of the things you like about the Bass Buzz family. I’m looking forward to participating.

The name “Hossinn” (long story) is a nickname a fellow band member gave me, MANY years ago, referring to my rather large front teeth, like a rabbit, after watching the bugs bunny cartoon when Elmer Fudd is dancing around the pot, singing hasenpfeffer (German for Rabbit Stew), while Bugs is happily bathing in the pot.

I started a ska band in 1985 and we are still jamming to this day (about 37-38 years…?).

Hoss

4 Likes

Hi! There is not a better place to start with or/and warm up for playing the bass! I could not be happier to have found and jumped into BazzBuzz! Best investment ever!

5 Likes

Yes, sounds like this course is right for you. You’re probably going to find that this course starts slow for you, but I would recommend doing all the modules from start to finish, because he goes over techniques to play clean. At the end you’re going to walk away with some decent chops.

I was in a similar place as you, I’ve been doing this for about a month and a half, I’m now on module 9 (about half way through) and my playing has noticeably improved.

Josh is a great teacher and this is a great course.

3 Likes

Great, thanks. I’m chugging along, from start, and enjoying myself. I appreciate being a part of the community and the warm welcomes I’ve received.

4 Likes

@Hossinn

I’m envious :laughing: of your experience in ska and reggae! Reggae is what actually brought me to the bass late in life. Started about 5 years ago at age 56. Bass is such an integral part of reggae- really quite different from most other genres. I also love the aspect of reggae where its just as important when not to play as it is to play. There sometimes can be pauses, so when the bass comes back in, you really feel it! In the last several years ive pursued other styles, but definitely plan to start trying to develop my reggae skills. I have a dream of being in my 70s or even 80s playing a few days a week at an oceanside reggae patio bar for free drinks! :rofl:

I hear that! We’re lucky to be the bassies in this genre of music. Can really feel the groove as it envelopes our body, and we deeply connect with those who are listening, as they feel the sound waves pushing against their bodies.

1 Like