Building Up Endurance Songs?

Many Black Sabbath songs are long, with lots of chugging, and although they are brilliant lines by Geezer, many are very playable, and are great for endurance.

As an added bonus, they are exceptionally FUN to play, and are a good challenge for speed, length, and string crossing.

White wedding is a great bass line, and I would go so far to say, it is almost a Geezer rip off (Billy Idol was never shy about who his influences are, he was also a big Morrison fan, why he was in the movie, I think he tried out for the lead too)

3 Likes

I started playing it in reverse as an added practice in endurance and fingering dexterity.

Example, it starts like this on the A string, as you all probably know

0 0 10 0 10 12 0 10 0 7 0 8 8 7 5 7

I play it

0 0 12 0 12 10 0 12 0 7 0 5 5 7 8 7

E string

0 0 12 0 12 10 0 A12 E0 10 0 A12 12 E10 A12 10

Same on the D string, except the last bit doesn’t start on the 7 fret working to 10, it just goes
9 10 - 8 9 - 7 8, but you could add to the challenge and run it
8 7 - 9 8 - 10 9, like the real line, but starting on the pair of notes it ends on for that run.

Idk why, just added an extra challenge, and I thought it was fun. It certainly changes the sound of the bass line, but sounds cool in its own right.

And it certainly makes playing it the normal way easier.

1 Like

I doubt that. I actually liked the song long before I picked up the bass again and listen to it regularly. I listen to lots of stuff and have lots of songs I want to learn. I also want to learn this song as I love classical music from my violin days.

Lesson/Tab/Sheet (link in desc):

3 Likes

Yeah. I want to play it because I like the song. I practice it every time I play because I want to, not because I feel like I should.

3 Likes

I have been using the Bass Technique Finger Gym book.

1 Like

What do you think of it?

I’m only interested if it’s the Def Leppard version!

3 Likes

I wonder who that could be? :thinking:

4 Likes

Any Vulfpeck song will probably do the trick, but they may make hysteria look like child’s play. :slight_smile:

Josh’s video sounds like a good avenue to take.

By the way, you gotta love their website! lol

2 Likes

Disturbed: Down with the sickness. It has a couple of spots where you can get your breath back before the next onslaught.

2 Likes

Keepin it REAL, haha

3 Likes

I do want to learn Dean Town too. Love that bass line…

4 Likes

“White Wedding” is a lot tougher than it looks, @JT . . :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can’t reach the F# at full speed yet, so I’m temporarily cheating by using G instead.

This should inspire me to try using a pick. lol

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Once you get the catchy riff down it’s just pure endurance. Kinda like Billie Jean in that aspect. I’ve always liked White Wedding so it is fun to play it. I never knew it was such an intense bassline though!

3 Likes

Was one of my favorite songs in about 6 grade, when I wanted to be Billy Idol.
My folks wouldn’t let me strip my hair white tho, so it was hard to pull off.

I even tried to get them to let me get Annie Lennox hair, which they said, you can cut it like that, but you can’t turn it orange.

Blocked again.

Mohawk
No

Green hair
No
Blue
Cut it anyway you want, but no colors.

Rug, I had long resentments towards my mom for that.

AND
Nowadays, kids are not in the norm crowd if they don’t change their hair color all the time.

My daughter had her hair colored like 27 different colors and combos in her sophomore year

Guess I wish I were a kid again.
Wait
WTF, I can get blue hair now
What am I waiting for.

5 Likes

Trust me… do it while you still have hair left… :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

+1. That ship sailed for me early 20’s.

4 Likes

I’ve convinced myself that being bald is the human equivalent of being a silverback gorilla. Baldness is the sign of being the alpha in the pack. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :wink:

5 Likes

Or you can see baldness as a blank canvas. My tattooist certainly has

5 Likes

Woah! I just checked into this thread after not following it for awhile. Now it’s about losing hair and being bald? What happened to endurance songs? LOL, it’s amazing how threads here keep getting off the rails and going in a completely different direction. :rofl:

7 Likes