Buying a decent bass online and "unseen" - any advice?

Let us (me especially) know how you like that. It’s one thing that’s definitely on my dream list.

3 Likes

A real classic! . . . :slight_smile:

Wish you lots of fun with it, @JerryP

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Those things are so cute. They look super light, too.

3 Likes

Wow, that was fast. Wonder if I called instead of ordered online if GC would have got mine here yet?

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes!

@howard Yes it is. A lot lighter than the Hamer I’ve been using for the course.

@T_dub Probably the reason I got it quickly was that I ordered it early in the morning and the warehouse is in Long Island and I’m in northern NJ.

3 Likes

Hey everyone!
I spent a couple of hours with the new Hofner and I must tell you I’m a bit disappointed. The sound is not what I expected. I’m going to get a few more hours in before I make a final decision. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

In what respect? Would a new set of strings help? A setup? I’ve always heard that Hofners put out a good sound, at least Paul McCartney managed to.

1 Like

Such an iconic bass, takes me back tae the 60’s
I’m sure you are going to get to know each other well

1 Like

I’m going to give myself more time. The short scale threw me off and I’m not getting that deep thump sound I thought I would get. May be I need a new amp? (Oh no, GAS!!!)

2 Likes

Round wound strings? Them roundwounds don’t thump they don’t…

3 Likes

umm… mileage varies :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had a little more time with the Hofner and I realized that I was plucking the strings too close to the bridge pickup. I usually anchor my thumb on the pickup so by moving my hand more to the center of the two pickups, I get a better sound.

3 Likes

You’re still in the “honeymoon” phase with your new bass, @JerryP . . . :wink:

It takes a little time to adjust . . .

Glad to hear you’re making progress!

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Ahh yeah, neck pickup is where the oomph will come from. Especially on that bass with that pickup spread.

2 Likes

Agreed. But flat wounds do sound like a nice option, :smirk:

2 Likes

My Guitar Center is a 5 minute drive from the house…but it’s been closed for weeks from the Covid Lockdown. :frowning:

2 Likes

Here’s a new wrinkle in my story: GC shipped the Hofner I originally ordered. I was going to cancel it today as they said they wouldn’t have any in stock until mid-June.
:woozy_face:

4 Likes

oh man… :frowning:

2 Likes

Play them both @JerryP, see if one stands out above the other, and take the other one back to which ever store is closer, or you rather visit for some fun.
The trick will be to walk out with some or all of the cash from the return.

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought about that. I’m hoping that the GC bass was made in Indonesia as I read that those are a better quality. The bass from Sam Ash was made in China and I found no quality problems with it.

1 Like