Buying a decent bass online and "unseen" - any advice?

What about the cancellation of your order? . . . Didn’t they get it? :thinking:

4 Likes

Yeah, maybe they shipped you a free one for the hassle?
Not unheard of.

2 Likes

@JerryP did you get a refund on your card when you cancelled the order?

The reason I ask is because I suspect GCs fulfillment department may be a bit janky. A month ago, when I purchased my fretless, I also ordered a set of flat wound strings. Both items shipped immediately. The bass arrived in a few days, but the strings somehow got lost by the postal service. I waited a week, and when they never arrived, I cancelled the order and received a refund.

Now, here it is a month later, and yesterday they appeared in my mailbox. I’m not sure if GC is aware that I finally received them, and may possibly recharge my card at some point.

It’s possible a similar scenario may have occurred in your case?

2 Likes

At the time I cancelled with GC, after talking with the rep, I decided to re-order so I could get on the list for the next available. They told me at the time that they would not receive any new stock until June so when the bass from Sam Ash came, I thought I had a couple of days to cancel with GC.

3 Likes

I don’t think so. I just checked and so far only Sam Ash has charged my account. I suppose GC will charge the account today. I have/had tracking numbers on both basses so I know just where it is while transiting.

2 Likes

Well, GC gives 90 days to return things, so…

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I’m going to try them both and see if there is a difference.

2 Likes

Ah . . . okay then . . . got it, @JerryP :+1:

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

GC actually gives 180 days, up from the standard 45 days due to Covid.

3 Likes

I’m going to try them both and one will go back on Friday.
:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Will you have to pay. Rerun shipping? Why not wait a cpl weeks and take it to the store ?

3 Likes

I do have one of each store nearby, but I haven’t heard of any plans to open either store soon. I’m in New Jersey where Draconian rules are in place.

3 Likes

Yes, I am in Huntington Beach, CA and I know of no plans for our local anything to open any earlier then May 15th, and even that is speculation for the area.
Still, you can really, really feel them out, and you can wait it ou to see. If they even charge you.
They charged me the day they shipped.

2 Likes

OK…
The Hofner from GC came today and it too was made in China so I will be returning the GC one and keeping the Sam Ash one. I’m going to call GC customer service in the morning for an RMA number and ask them if they have any idea when the stores will re-open. I’ll let you all know what they say.

3 Likes

@JerryP good luck getting in touch with GC. I have been trying to call them for days. Nobody answers the phone, and I can’t get anyone on chat from their website. Really bad business, especially since I get promo emails from them on a daily basis, wanting me to order gear.

3 Likes

Really? That’s strange. The few times I called them over the past few weeks, they’ve answered the phone and been very helpful.
I’ll let you know.

3 Likes

No sooner did I finish posting that, and someone finally came on my chat. It took me two days and several tries, but I finally got through.

3 Likes

I have dealt with Guitar Center four times during the shutdown and never have any problems other than some long hold times. Also, my GC across the street just opened back up today. Ended up returning everything I had ordered. :rofl:

2 Likes

I also had no trouble getting them the two times I tried. Strange. Glad they finally answered your chat.

2 Likes

@eric.kiser,
where are you located?

2 Likes