Buying plug-ins? NEVER at regular price!

If you are interested in getting plug-ins, VSTs, etc. for your DAW or as stand-alones, here is one piece of advice that I am sure I have seen @howard (and possibly others) state before, but that I still haven’t heeded:

NEVER EVER buy any plug-in at “regular” price!!!

I had a ujam virtual guitarist plug-in, and after my 30 day test period had expired, I bought it at regular price because I needed it in a project. Now, barely 12 days later, they are on sale and you can get 5 virtual guitar plug-ins for the price I paid for one (or, you can get the individual plug-ins for way less than the regular price).

I contacted customer service, but they won’t budge - it would cost them virtually nothing to show some flexibility and help me out in some way, but… no.

This leaves me to conclude that a) regular prices are over-inflated fantasy prices, which no-one ever should pay (it’s basically a rip-off); and b) only ever buy ANY plug-in when on sale (and sales do come around regularly; e.g., on hubs such as PluginBoutique).

That said, if you need a virtual guitar plug-in (or all five), head over to ujam - these plug-ins are on sale :joy: (And they have good sound quality and a reasonably decent UX)

3 Likes

:100: !!!

The sale price is the real price for plugins. They go on sale all the time. I mean roughly once a season or so.

It’s a good bet to buy from PluginBoutique or others that not only cover any manufacturer sales, but also have their own sales and points systems (and free giveaways).

Black Friday will have serious sales too.

The sale prices at these times should be considered the actual prices of the plugins. The rest of the year is just gouging. As an example, I got Amplitube 5 Max for $99 and it goes on sale for that regularly. It’s on sale for that right now. The rest of the time, it’s like $599 :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m in total agreement with you guys. I only buy when they are on sale.

2 Likes

I recently purchased a bass plugin called Soul Bass for 49 Euros. Its now back to its regular price of 99 euros.

2 Likes

Often Plugin Boutique does giveaways of ~50 euro plugins as free with purchase.

1 Like