Can we talk vinyl?

For sure. I had many that would be exceedingly rare today. They were rare 30 years ago.

1 Like

The other thing I find with music on my phone, I rarely, if ever, listen to an entire album. I bounce around in shuffle mostly, or let Apple play turns based on what I just played. Very ADHD.

The “ritual of vinyl” (aka PITA of changing records) changes the listening experience back yo how the artist wanted the music presented. This obviously also allows you to listen to a load of “deep tracks” you would normally not hear or skip by in a shuffle gig.

3 Likes

I’m a sentimental person and a part of me hopes that when I’m gone my kids will put on my records and think about me. Mostly because I wish I had some of my dad’s old records. I wish I could put them on and wonder which songs were his favorites.

3 Likes

As soon as they’ve got you in the old folks home those old ‘Cure’ records will be on Ebay :wink:

1 Like

Haha freaking kids!

I just LOVE my manual transmission!

Finally drug out the old turntable we had when I was growing up. Got it hooked up to the Sansui HiFi that it used to spend so much time with before.

It does produce sound but it sounds like :poop: I’d describe it as a extra layer of fuzz on top of the usual pops and hiss.

Think it’s worth seeking a new cartridge for this old beast? (Philips Automatic 406) Perhaps it’s something else? I could supply a video if that helps.

1 Like

Do the research on a new cartridge Vs some of the new normal turntables like project carbon and the like. But first. Invest in some good vinyl cleaner (liquid), carbon fiber brush (for once it’s clean and to get rid of bigger dust things that re-land) and a stylus brush (don’t use the gel pads, they leave crap on the stylus). and see if that helps. As kids we didn’t really clean records. Makes a huge difference. Big fudge kit etc. I can send you recos if you want.

1 Like

I’ll have a look at the big fudge kit! Cleaning is probably a good place to start. Thanks. :smiley:

Quick look online seems to indicate these are ok turntables but very very cheap. If you get to the cartridge replacement bit, I think you’d be better off swapping it out. Clean everything up and see if you fall in love with vinyl again. Caution: it’s a deep and vast rabbit hole as well.

1 Like

Got the cleaning kit, and did a quick test run and not much improvement. I think this needle might be toast… sometimes one side crackles out and I only get one speaker. It sounds pretty horrendous the entire time. Time to do more research…

Sounds like your speakers are flaky or amp is shot.
You cleaned the stylus too yes?

1 Like

I cleaned that as well.

I know the speakers are good since I have tested FM and AUX in and they sound fantastic. The Hifi unit is a late 70s Sansui. It does have some issues with the Dolby NR switch but that doesn’t seem to change the sound of the Phono input.

I’m quite far from your collection @alexmorrison14 but … getting there (discogs says 68).
I revived an old technics SL-D2 :

… coupled with an audio technica AT-VM95SH/H, EDIFIER Studio R1280T and ART DJ Pre II preamp.
I don’t think I need much more. I’m still buying records from time to time (last was Vulfpeck Schvitz) but listening to the thing is still very much appreciated.

4 Likes

Sounds like a new turntable is VERY VERY necessary (I capitalized this in case you need to show this to your wife/girlfriend/whoever dislikes packages with your name coming to the house). :rofl:

2 Likes

This is one of those lies I tell myself, lol.

1 Like

I can’t get a clear view of the cables for this Philips Automatic 406. But I wanted to let you know that when reviving my SL-D2, I had pretty much the same audio issue you describe. The problem was that the phono cable RCA was a bit messy and the ground cable being very sensitive to the presence of others cables in its immediate proximity.
Well, I suppose you have already checked all of this, so maybe I should emphasize that it sounds like a new turntable is VERY VERY necessary (repetition could be more convincing to the girlfriend)

2 Likes

ha ha … well, I’m afraid to ask but I need to know : did it work ^^´ ?

I dig some jiggling of the RCA cables to see if there was a loose connections and it did not seem to change. It might be worth checking the connections from the turntable side, which might involve opening the unit.

Basically all the cables come out the back from the same spot.

I decorate my music room walls with framed album covers…
I said ‘when the walls are full, I am done’
Walls hold 201.
Then I bought two 3-hole record holder cubbies.
I said ‘this will be more than enough room and I will stop if I ever fill it’
Then I bought a bigger single unit from IKEA.
I said ‘this will be certainly be more than enough room and I will stop when full’
Then I moved all my boxed sets to another shelving unit…
Then I moved my K-Tel (yes, I collect them) albums to another shelving unit…
Then I moved A-C to another shelving unit…
I just moved 3 photo albums off the other shelving unit to make room (yep, its that tight)…
I am now over 800.
I don’t think I need much more.

3 Likes