Can we talk vinyl?

at “A” of course, lol

1 Like

My father is hiding most of his vinyl from my mom. He actually rents storage :joy:
Haven’t seen the storage yet, but I know it’s pretty bad

3 Likes

I hope it’s climate controlled storage or he will run in to one of vinyl’s main disadvantages (and why I will always hate it :rofl: )

1 Like

Every time I think about buying some records I remind myself that they’re a pita and I’m glad I don’t have to bother with them anymore :laughing:

:100:

Easily damaged, vulnerable to every environmental condition (even dust, but especially heat), takes up space, not portable, noise, limited fidelity (that audiophiles love the shit out of and can’t resist over sharing the mistaken belief that it is better), on and on.

On the other hand it does feature full size album covers and liner notes, which almost make up for the rest. Plus SL1200s are cool.

1 Like

fully agreed.

and yet…

for me the appeal is the “ritual” of listening to an LP the few times i have done so feels more special and like… “sensate” for lack of a better word. it is more of an experience than spotify.

2 Likes

Totally, the album experience in general really.

1 Like

The other ritual that I love is the “hunt” and finding a gem in a pile of albums. It’s very addictive. Find a great album, I want to find two, find two, need to find three. Sigh.

Discogs marketplace is really dangerous. Worse than Reverb or eBay

1 Like

It’s down to the same reason some people prefer manual gearboxes on cars and such: “if we have to explain to a person why we like it then there’s no way to explain it where they would understand it”.

That being said, I do enjoy the ritual of it as some have said as well as the hunt. Also, there’s a warmth to the audio that I don’t get with mp3s. Even with the Bluetooth audio adapter I have plugged in to the vintage receiver, the sound from digital files is just…cold. The imperfections of the vinyl gives it an extra layer of character as well. Believe it or not, I actually love the pops and hisses to a certain degree.

Hardware, for the curious:
Sansui Stereo Receiver Seven
Fluance RT85
Polk Floor Speakers & Sub
Sennheiser HD 599 Open Back Headphones (for the days I don’t feel like forcing the house…and neighbors to listen to good music)

3 Likes

Automatic gearboxes are slightly more fuel efficient but the main advantage is that I can scroll through this forum on my cell phone whilst driving

3 Likes

run the mp3 through a compressor and a LoFi noise pedal? Would give you a decent simulation…

this would actually be hilarious

1 Like

I miss the thrill of the find but I really, really don’t miss having to wait two years to get a song. (Which has happened to me.)

Many years ago when I moved, I accidentally forgot all my records in the back of my truck on a hot day. Sad times :disappointed_relieved: I should have saved the covers :smile: my dad had a big jazz collection, much of it on old 78s… I forgot all about it until my mom sold the house and I have no idea what happened to it but I try not to think about that :pensive:

1 Like

There’s iZotope Vinyl or RC-20 :slightly_smiling_face:

One time we moved in to a new place and set up the stereo, put the records down, etc. Then all went to school/work/etc.

Came home and the records were warped. Turns out we should have put up the window curtains because the sun came through the window just so…

Welp, time to try and find them all again.

1 Like

Good old crate digging :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I imagine vinyl doesn’t seem bad if you’re not forced to use it :rofl:

If there’s other sources of music it’s just kind of nostalgic and retro-cool. But back then? We loved it but it suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. CDs and DATs happened because vinyl sucked so bad and we all wanted something better.

When I’m working I only listen to vinyl.
Forces me to get off my ass every 20 min or so to flip the sides and lets me have solid hours a day to listen to them. The collection is only stuff I truly love and very diverse.

I’ve got every song imaginable on my phone and that’s for my ear buds, the car, etc.

Some of us here have shared our collections (if you are interested in this thread:

This is the key difference. You’re not forced to use it, it’s just kind of a neat retro hobby.

And potentially lucrative. Some of the albums I stumbled across for cheap have shot up in value over the last couple years.

2 Likes