Can't choose between two rock basses (Sire M2 vs Yamaha TRBX304)

I’m looking for a cheapish bass that I could use to play hard rock or metal and to complement the J-bass that I have (Sire V3) and it eventually boiled down to those two. I’ve seen a lot of good things said about both. I got to test out the Yamaha in a store and I was a big fan of it and the little tone switch it has, BUT no straight up tone knob that I like to have, “only” a 2 band EQ and it’s more expensive. On the other hand, the Sire M2 is cheaper, has a passive/active switch in case the battery dies, a tone knob and a 4 band EQ BUT it doesn’t have the cool little switch that the Yamaha has :frowning: and the guy at the store said that the Yamaha had a better, heavier sound, but I didn’t get to test out the M2 so I can’t tell. They’re about 100€ apart and that’s a pretty big deal for me because I’m a little short on money, so is the Yamaha really worth 100€ more than the Sire?

Please help me decide, and have a nice day.

2 Likes

I have owned a TRBX304 and it is a great bass… That said, I would tave an active/passive with a 3/4 band EQ over its switch+2-band every time. In fact I upgraded to a 604 just for that reason.

2 Likes

There’s no particular pickup configuration associated to rock or metal. I really like the sound of a P bass for those genres. You could try shaping the sound of your J using a preamp to fit more to your expectations, for example a Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21 (+/- 39$). That might be an option if you want to watch your budget.

If you’re just looking to buy a new bass, I think that both options seem fine :wink:

3 Likes

I just posted a video in Listening To where Haraguchi-san is playing a Jazz in a metal song. There’s a lot of Jazz basses in rock and metal, Priest recorded British Steel on a Jazz. I’m not saying stick with the jazz as much as saying you can get a rock/metal sound out of anything.

2 Likes

Sire basses are of excellent quality materials and builds, and they are great values. You can’t go wrong with a Sire.

3 Likes

Having owned a TRBX304 in the past, I’d go for the Sire. That tone switch on the Yamaha has five positions, and I didn’t like any of them. I think you’re better of with a three or four band EQ when it comes to flexibility.

3 Likes

Yeah. As much as I loved the 304, a mids knob on the EQ beats the switch every day. I really dislike 2-band EQs.

Other than that and the active/passive switch, I would go Yamaha over Sire, but that’s just brand preference. For all intents and purposes they are equivalent quality; Sire makes great stuff.

3 Likes