Can't spread fingers apart on frets

@ kwt7667 I had the same issue with shoulder, neck and wrists hurting while sitting. So got a really good strap and that fixed that, but then feet hurt after 30 min.

How I fixed that is I got a stool from a flea market (the kind you use when working at a lab or test bench) that is adjustable. I made it high enough that I can kinda sit/lean on it while playing…now I can practice for an hour and have zero pain anywhere to distract me (except fingers…my calluses are getting callused now…lol)

1 Like

@faamecanic Thanks for sharing your experience! I often wondered if I was sitting too low, and maybe I should look into a stool. I think also, my farsighted vision is causing me to slump to see the strings ( they blurr together); eventually I can am sure I’ll have them by feel, but just starting out, I need to see them.

2 Likes

I have small hands myself and have to shift my hand a bit to play with all four fingers. Keep with the course and continue to use all four fingers, soon you will be able to shift and play effortlessly

6 Likes

If spreading your fingers to cover the frets is really insurmountable, particularly at the nut end of the neck, there are a couple of options to a conventional bass guitar which might make life easier.
You could get a short scale bass which would shave about 3 -4 inches off the length of the fretboard (and therefore shorter distances between frets) The other alternative is a ukulele bass or Ubass. By using much denser strings, the scale length of these is around around 21 inches, about 2/3 the length of a conventional bass! These come in fully electric or acoustic/electric versions.

Both these shorter instruments are tuned exactly the same as a standard bass guitar so you don’t have to do any transposing to continue with the course and you can rock out without the pain!

4 Likes

Exactly, @Sheldon and @Steinbeck! . . . :wink:

Nothing happens “instantly” . . . took me awhile (and I’m still working at it)

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Yep. It’s just like any other muscles in your body really. Like I can’t touch my toes right now, but I know if I worked on it I could. Or say you want to lift 200lbs and can only lift 150lbs right now, you just need to put work into it. I understand some people have physical issues that limit certain things, but for 99.9% of people, it just needs more effort. Even more so for us older folk in the community like me. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I recently posted a vid in the “Small hands need help” topic of this kid that looks like he’s 10 or so absolutely shredding on a full scale Warwick.

All it takes is practice. I certainly can’t comfortably do a four-fret spread down below the fifth fret or so. You know, where we spend most of our time :slight_smile:

So I don’t, I just shift.

4 Likes

I can’t either, so I don’t “fret it.” :grin: I’ll just manage, and I’ll bet that eventually I’ll get there one day and I’ll probably hardly notice. I just trust the process.

4 Likes