Case Cleaning Recommendations?

So, my new Carvin B4 came with a super cool Carvin hard case:

I’d like to clean it. It’s not dirty, per se, but it has spent the last however long in someone else’s home with someone else touching it and using it. I’m not a germaphobe or anything, but… you know… I’d still like to clean it up and make it fresh.

What do you recommend? I’ve wiped it down for dust, but I’d like to go a bit deeper than that.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

I’d vacuum then steam the interior.

That tweed exterior is a dirt magnet so I think I’d be looking at a foaming upholstery cleaner to try to lift the dirt out.

3 Likes

Careful with steam. It melts glue underneath. I’d avoid this.

Stick it I the sun for a day to kill off anything. If it stinks a few squirts of Odor Assassin closed for a day then repeat the sun bit.

You can get fancy and ozonate if you have access to an ozonator (my lab comes in handy sometimes.

3 Likes

If it’s not dirty I’d just spray sanitizer on it. Lysol should do the trick. I’d test the corner first to check for discoloration. If no discoloration and you wanna feel good, do a couple of coat.

2 Likes

Fire! It’s the only way to be sure.

8 Likes

For the interior, if it smells musty or like cat pee, I’d go with BioKleen, a lime based enzymatic cleaner. We have four pets — two cats, two dogs. We deal with a lot of pet smells. This is one of the few things I will use on our oriental rugs. Spray, wait, blot — good to go.
For the exterior, if it’s a lacquered tweed, I’d be tempted to try a quick wipe with naphtha. If you’re not feeling adventurous, a dilute solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid will do the job.
And, yeah, sit it in the sun for a day or two. That’ll do the trick.

3 Likes

3 Likes