Cases & Cars

So I will be running into a problem here soonish. Me and a few buddies are going to be practicing starting back up here in next month or so. My problem is this I work from 6a-3p. The practice area is about 1 hr from where i live and is about 30 min from where i work. From my job my house is the opposite direction of the practice area. So basically I will be having to leave my Bass (in its hard case.) in a car or van while I am at work There is no option to take it into my work and i cannot leave windows down (its a prison). With summer here what all options would be best to keep the case from warping, also keep the bass from just getting too hot.
I Have thought about getting a gig bag but i dont like the fact that its not really that well protectedā€¦

3 Likes

Here is a cheeky solution: get a second bass - leave one where you practice with your buddies and one at home for practicing there :smile:

One of them need not be a top-of-the-line bass, and perhaps this would be preferable to having a (more expensive) bass sitting in the trunk for 10 hours or more.
Also, it is probably the temperature/humidity changes that are causing most troubles.

5 Likes

Well getting a 2nd one is not in the question atmā€¦ just upgraded everything, sold my old bass spent over 2,000$ā€¦

3 Likes

Can you bring it up the night before or something?

4 Likes

I think a hardcase would be better than a gig bag because the humidity level takes more time to change inside the case. but itā€™s still not ideal at all in my opinion. (ā€¦ even if I have already done that a million time and I never had any problem on the instruments)

5 Likes

I just donā€™t want my case to warp and become unusableā€¦

4 Likes

@Aldwinn88, I know for sure I would NOT want to leave my bass in a hot vehicle (and subject to theft) for 10 hours, either . . . and I agree with @terb about a hard shell case.

@joergkutter and @howard both have good suggestions. . . :+1: . . If I were you and I couldnā€™t afford a second bass, I would go with Howardā€™s idea.

Good thinking to plan ahead :slight_smile:
Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Well theft is last thing on my mind Prison=cameras everywhere. If you are that brave it also means you are that stupid to steal from a car in the parking lot of a prison and yeah bad ideaā€¦ I was thinking maybe putting a blanket over the case, try and keep direct sunlight off of it yet that runs into the issue will hold more heatā€¦ :frowning:

3 Likes

Yeah, a hardcase wrapped in a blanket in the trunk is probably your best option then (counterintuitively, the blanket should insulate the case/bass, at least for a while, but 9 hours or so is a long time for everything to get into thermal equilibrium)! As soon as you start driving towards your friends house, put the case on the backseat such that it ā€œadjustsā€ to the AC temperature in your car (and later in the rehearsal room).

Do a dry run with just the case (and blanket) in your trunk for 9 hours and put a thermometer inside!

5 Likes

Never thought of a dry run, that is a great idea!!

4 Likes

maybe a white blanket to reflect the sunlight as much as possible ?

3 Likes

wouldnā€™t matter in the trunk :grin:

2 Likes

not false ā€¦ :sweat_smile: :joy:

3 Likes

@Aldwinn88 I would suggest a thermal sleeping bag. You get kidā€™s sizes. My thinking is if it keeps you warm overnight it MAY keep it cool .

1 Like

Hi @Aldwinn88, I read a thread about much the same problem on the web.
Two things were mentioned which may or may not be good. The first was to leave the case slightly open to let it vent. Not sure, you could make the counter argument that lets the heat inā€¦
The second was to wrap the guitar case in one of those silver ā€˜space blanketsā€™ they sell in camping stores. They reflect heat energy, I think this would apply even if your case was in the trunk of the car, as heat is also infrared and given off by all hot bodies such as the inside of the car?

4 Likes

Definitely cover it with something. Sleeping bags are good insulators if you get them on when things are cold.
But still - all day in a hot car is going to be real bad. Have the guitar player(s) bring the basses that you know they have somewhere in the mysterious gear closet that all guitar players have. It will be terrible, but it will save your bass!

The dry run idea is also great.
Good luck.

4 Likes