CHALLENGED!

looks more like a revenge than a challenge :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

The plot thickens…

I will make sure to catch the next episode when our grizzled hero fights back :crazy_face:

9 Likes

Now that I’ve started learning to play this song I am realizing that I can play it much better AFTER I watch the evening news…!!!..

Apparently When I’m really pissed off I can slam these riffs and hammer out notes that I had no idea I could do!!

9 Likes

Just got back from downtown Huntington Beach, by the pier on Main Street.
WOW
You Wanna FEEL HATE in the air?
Stick around there for a bit.

Not for me. I am back home,
well,
the place I sleep, shower, sleep, keep some of my stuff at.

Gonna go get some groceries in a few, then come back and focus that pent up aggression on some scales…

lol lol

I feel ya @Lanny

4 Likes

Update: This evening I was able to finally get to 100% speed on this song (with only a few missed notes). Missed notes are definitely due to the speed of this song is played at. Eighth notes at 151bpm is light speed for an old dude like me who suffers from arthritis in the wrist and hands… Does prove to give the digits a healthy work out though… I think the most difficult part I’m having trouble with with now are the up and down slides thrown in at the end of the first chorus.

Having done some research on this song I found out that it was Johnny Frusciante who wrote the riffs that are used for both bass and guitar. Most of the song has both him and Flea playing pretty much the same riffs which gives the song the feeling of a lot of free space - especially since Chad Smith drum portion is limited with several drum beats used to fill some voids giving the piece a sense of being a little off time.

Still not a real big fan of the song, but I think I’ve forced myself to grow to like it enough for reasons other than the lyrics… Actually, it’s a GREAT tension reliever AND a GREAT workout when playing it. It’s so damn fast that you just can’t stand still playing it - you gotta keep moving around in order to keep up the pace… Right now I can only play it through 2 times before I have to take at least a 15 minute break, AND, I have to keep the shaker of baby powder along with a lightly soaked white mineral oil rag (and dry cloth) handy to use every once in awhile. Baby powder helps keep the palm of my fretting hand dry and slick for fast neck action and the white mineral oil rag helps keep my fretboard and strings nice and slick. An old guitar trick…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Challenge complete!
READYMADE COVER POST

3 Likes

Oh shit! :grinning:

3 Likes

Make your depth four-five-zero feet… Rig for silent running…

Later dudes…

4 Likes

I’m sure Carol Kaye must have thought the same thing from time to time before she quit doing TV studio work.

3 Likes

You’re killing me @Lanny !!! :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

@Lanny I would love to read what the respons from your daughters and grandkids were?

4 Likes

@RemcoRG - Actually, they were not surprised that I followed through with doing the song, they were however impressed at the fact that I completed their challenge as I did before the deadline… The one thing that learning to play this song did, was it “pushed” me well outside my comfort zone, and helped prove to myself that I do enjoy playing this instrument…

I may not always enjoy “What I’m playing”, but I do always enjoy “What I’m playing it with”…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

I am learning RHCP Soul to Squeeze I like the songs rhythms

5 Likes

I’m trying singing. When I stop embarrassing myself I’ll post an example. Maybe. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You are going all in :grin: Bass, keyboards, guitar, vocals, production, …

Looking forward to your first album :sunglasses:

5 Likes

One of those is very clearly the weakest link :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:joy:

Takes some guts to even try :smile:

6 Likes

Yep. This…

4 Likes

Well, the last place I ever thought to see this much hate for Flea was a bass forum. It’s kind of odd to me. It’s one thing to dislike RHCP music, as that is subjective, but Flea is objectively a PHENOMENAL bass player who was even a pioneer for the instrument. The punk/funk fusion was pretty unheard of at the time. In addition to that he is technically very proficient and his sense of groove, time and syncopation is nearly unmatched.

I don’t know, I look past styles of music and whether I like it or not and look at what the players are doing. I don’t listen to Jaco often, but I can appreciate very much his skill and impact on the instrument, even learned a few of his bass lines.

Guys like Flea? For rock bass he brought excitement an innovation to the instrument. Before him rock bassists were chugging 8th notes on the root note Until their fingers fell off and they fell asleep. Nothing wrong with that kind of playing, but all the jokes and stereotypes about bass and bassists come from it.

Off my soapbox, just want to end with you should look at what you could learn from Flea and maybe try to appreciate why so many bassists hold him in such a high regard. There are definitely very justified reasons for it!:smiley:. You can do that and still not enjoy RHCP’s music.

4 Likes

I don’t hate Flea, I hope I didn’t give you that impression. I don’t care for his style, but on the same token won’t argue that he’s not a good bass player. I don’t think he’s superb, just a good bass player, but that’s my opinion (for what it’s worth).
After reading his book “Acid for the Children” I have grown to dislike him personally, but that still doesn’t take away from his talent. Again, he is a good bass player.
With all that said, I don’t HATE Flea, I just don’t care much for him.
I do like much of RHCP’s music though :smiley_cat:

2 Likes