CHALLENGED!

Interesting question @T_dub… I’m actually wondering if that song was even played on FM, or just one that they always just played live at concerts…:thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

Damn @terb… Bad enough I have to deal with one challenge let alone two!!:joy::joy:

3 Likes

That kinda helped… my limited grasp of slang caused my much too active imagination to go somewhat astray here… :sweat:

6 Likes

I was in the same boat @joergkutter… Had no idea and yes, my mind went into that same gutter… and, as an old diesel boat submarine sailor,… well,… think I’ll keep those thoughts and visions just between me and my little buddy Griff…:dog:… He knows how to keep secrets…:grinning::grinning:

7 Likes

I think it’s funny that they challenged you to play something more recent and their choice was… Red Hot Chili Peppers. They’re not exactly one of today’s hottest bands.

Whatever you do, you better come back and post the video here!

6 Likes

Right? They were already “not new” when I was a teen and it’s been a few years since then. I think it’s more about the style/genre for the kids? I assume…

4 Likes

Yea @tamaraster… I do think that the band choice of RHCP probably came from one of their moms (my twin 41 YO daughters)… With several of my grandkids in their late teens and early 20’s, I can only believe that those evil twin daughters of mine had a hand in convincing my grandkids to pull this on on me… :smirk: :smirk:

Back when my girls were teenagers, I was kind of a hardass when it came to what I would let them listen to in the house and when they would have an RHCP song playing on the radio or cassette tape player, my typical response would pretty much always be “Get that crap outta my house or else I’ll take that useless piece a sh1t outside and blow the damn thing up with my shotgun!”

Actually,… come to think of it, I may have used that same expression many times when they had boyfriends over…

Hmmmm… :thinking: :thinking: Maybe my daughters have more invested in this CHALLENGE than I know… hmmm

8 Likes

Ya think? :roll_eyes::thinking::roll_eyes::flushed::crazy_face:

2 Likes

looks more like a revenge than a challenge :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

The plot thickens…

I will make sure to catch the next episode when our grizzled hero fights back :crazy_face:

9 Likes

Now that I’ve started learning to play this song I am realizing that I can play it much better AFTER I watch the evening news…!!!..

Apparently When I’m really pissed off I can slam these riffs and hammer out notes that I had no idea I could do!!

9 Likes

Just got back from downtown Huntington Beach, by the pier on Main Street.
WOW
You Wanna FEEL HATE in the air?
Stick around there for a bit.

Not for me. I am back home,
well,
the place I sleep, shower, sleep, keep some of my stuff at.

Gonna go get some groceries in a few, then come back and focus that pent up aggression on some scales…

lol lol

I feel ya @Lanny

4 Likes

Update: This evening I was able to finally get to 100% speed on this song (with only a few missed notes). Missed notes are definitely due to the speed of this song is played at. Eighth notes at 151bpm is light speed for an old dude like me who suffers from arthritis in the wrist and hands… Does prove to give the digits a healthy work out though… I think the most difficult part I’m having trouble with with now are the up and down slides thrown in at the end of the first chorus.

Having done some research on this song I found out that it was Johnny Frusciante who wrote the riffs that are used for both bass and guitar. Most of the song has both him and Flea playing pretty much the same riffs which gives the song the feeling of a lot of free space - especially since Chad Smith drum portion is limited with several drum beats used to fill some voids giving the piece a sense of being a little off time.

Still not a real big fan of the song, but I think I’ve forced myself to grow to like it enough for reasons other than the lyrics… Actually, it’s a GREAT tension reliever AND a GREAT workout when playing it. It’s so damn fast that you just can’t stand still playing it - you gotta keep moving around in order to keep up the pace… Right now I can only play it through 2 times before I have to take at least a 15 minute break, AND, I have to keep the shaker of baby powder along with a lightly soaked white mineral oil rag (and dry cloth) handy to use every once in awhile. Baby powder helps keep the palm of my fretting hand dry and slick for fast neck action and the white mineral oil rag helps keep my fretboard and strings nice and slick. An old guitar trick…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Challenge complete!
READYMADE COVER POST

3 Likes

Oh shit! :grinning:

3 Likes

Make your depth four-five-zero feet… Rig for silent running…

Later dudes…

4 Likes

I’m sure Carol Kaye must have thought the same thing from time to time before she quit doing TV studio work.

3 Likes

You’re killing me @Lanny !!! :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

@Lanny I would love to read what the respons from your daughters and grandkids were?

4 Likes

@RemcoRG - Actually, they were not surprised that I followed through with doing the song, they were however impressed at the fact that I completed their challenge as I did before the deadline… The one thing that learning to play this song did, was it “pushed” me well outside my comfort zone, and helped prove to myself that I do enjoy playing this instrument…

I may not always enjoy “What I’m playing”, but I do always enjoy “What I’m playing it with”…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes