Chord Detection/ Audio slow downer software

Hi everyone, I do hope this is the right area to post this in.

I wanted to know if anyone was using something called Riffstation or Sound Surgeon to help identify chords in music tracks and , where needed, slow the tune down in order to help break sequences down for learning.

I realise that Riffstation no longer exists, taken over by on Surgeon. I am unaware of any other software that does the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives please?

Thank you

3 Likes

I use Transcribe. I’m not familiar with those others you mentioned.

4 Likes

+1 to @PamPurrs recommendation for “Transcribe”.

3 Likes

However, if you are googling, make sure to search for “Transcribe!” :smile:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Better late than never. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have used Song Surgeon for a few years and find it most useful.
It will automatically detect the tempo of a song in BPMs, it will determine the key signature, and it will detect the chords and display all this right on the screen in front of you.

Others here use Transcribe which I also have but do not use that much because I find transcribing quicker with the above Sound Surgeon additional features that Transcribe does not have.
Maybe the newer versions will do this but I do not know.

Of course this all comes at a price.
Song Surgeon is around $100 whereas Transcribe is only $40.
For me Song Surgeon’s time saving additional tools are worth the extra price. YMMV

I use Transcribe or Anthemscore

I use sound surgeon to slow down the music on mp3 , I have also used amazing slow downer that came with some of my Hal Leonard books but that was to slow down the music. I have used Chordify for chords in a song. Not sure on price on Chordify. Only used I few times.

I also use the Yamaha Chord Tracker app on my phone. It will scan any song in your library and put up the chord names for it. It also changes tempo, transposes and let’s you set a section to loop. It’s free.

1 Like

+1

I’m sticking with Transcribe! I can’t see trying to transcribe a song on a cell phone, but whatever works for you I guess.

1 Like

Completely agreed. I use chord tracker when my daughter shows up with a song and I want to start playing along in about 30 seconds.

3 Likes

Thank you BassBuzz forum people for yet another wonderful lead.
Never heard of Yamaha Chord Tracker before (actually not true, looks like I downloaded it at one point and deleted it a long time ago and forgot about it) but this is a really great tool!

B2B Forum wins the day again!

2 Likes

“Capo” for Mac (and iOS) is worth checking out. Even as a free version there are some nifty features. It gives you for example a spectrogram (i.e., frequency vs time) and you can point on any of the blobs (with the tune paused) to get the sound/note there - very good for digging into the details.

http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/

2 Likes

On the desktop you could use Audacity which allows changing of speed while keeping the pitch consistent. A lot of voice dictation apps also allow for playing sections of the audio so you can slow it down.
I’m not yet aware of any that can identify chords. A spectral analyser app may do.

Riffstation is still downloadable, but is sometimes not that accurate with chords. Really rarely! It works fine most of the times for me, when I try to get chords out of some random song. And it has really good slowing, chancing pitch, etc functions. In really easy UI to use. Shame, that it’s not developed anymore.