Chord Progression Question

Greetings Music Theorists!
I found an old copy of the Eagles’ song “Take It Easy” so I thought I would fool around with it by just playing the roots of the chords as the song played. At the end of the song, there is a G to G9 change. Playing the G during that bar just didn’t sound right. Any ideas about what note would sound correct?

4 Likes

If you’re asking what the chord tones would be… on a Gmaj9 it would be G B D F# A . On a Dominant (G9) it would be G B D F A

Does that help?

3 Likes

It could also be be played as Gmaj9 = G A B D F# or G9 = G A B D F

3 Likes

If it doesn’t sound right, let us know the time in the song when it happens, and take a photo of the chart you’re using at that point. I could help with some additional input!

5 Likes

It’s a Dominant G9. I’ll try one of the other notes, but I don’t understand why “G” sounds wrong. :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ll get a photo of the last part of the song later after work.

3 Likes

It may be that the G just sounds wrong because of the A right above it being part of the chord.

2 Likes

Here is a photo of the progression:

2 Likes

I see low G G G A A# B on the bass clef. I played it on my B string and it sounded okay.

Timothy B. Schmit (who I love) plays a 4 string, so he probably used the E string.

4 Likes

Yes, I tried just a G A A# B walk up to C and it sounds fine now.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help!

5 Likes

I’m glad you got it sorted @JerryP

3 Likes

Hi Jerry @JerryP, and @PamPurrs
If you guys like the eagles I have some of their songs charted, happy to share.
I am also a big fan of them and Timothy b Schmitt, he is a solid player and great vocalist.
Cheers

4 Likes

Is it in musical notation or tab? I would be interested if it’s musical notation. I don’t play tab.

2 Likes

Hi Pam,
It’s in music, I don’t plat tab either.
Cheers

2 Likes

Awesome! I’d love it!

2 Likes

I will see what I have,
I know I have
I can’t tell you why, the girl from yesterday, tequila sunrise
Cheers

3 Likes

I love I can’t tell you why. Timothy has such a sweet voice.

2 Likes

The best,
I met him in Malibu
My wife and I were on holiday and I heard his voice while I was sitting on a bench outside shops.
I s#&** myself, ran to the hire car grabbed the note pad, forgot the phone cuz I was so excited, ran back and had the courage to ask him for his autograph, he placed the cake down on the bench signed an autograph and we chatted about bass guitars.

3 Likes

@TNKA36 somewhere on this forum is a thread about what bass player we aspire to play like. For mine, I put Timothy B. Schmit. I have watched him play over the years and I just love the relaxed, smooth way he plays the bass.

2 Likes