Chuck Rainey is the bomb! + some of my favorite tracks

A lot of people haven’t heard of him, but Chuck Rainey has probably played bass on a song you love. The man has played on thousands of records, with artists including King Curtis, Sam Cooke, Etta James, Jackie Wilson, The Supremes, Aretha Franklin, Roberta Flack, Quincy Jones, and Steely Dan.

Here are a few of my favorite Chuck lines, what about you?

2 Likes

I was just reading his website, holy crap, 149,000 songs, what?!

http://chuckrainey.com/discography/

I’d never heard of Chuck till you mentioned him in another thread so I’ve been playing catch-up on YouTube all morning. This is my fav so far, might make it my wake up alarm music :sunglasses:

2 Likes

love all of these, especially Rock Steady!

2 Likes

There are countless artists. Suggest you check out the wrecking crew they are on many many popular songs. Just google “The Wrecking Crew”

1 Like

I know seriously! Hard to wrap your head around.

Hey Dom, pretty sure Chuck wasn’t part of the Wrecking Crew? I think most of the bass there was handled by Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn? At least that’s what I remember from the documentary about them, which I highly recommend to everyone!

1 Like

You’re right, @JoshFossgreen . . . :+1:

Didn’t realize that he was a session musician for Steely Dan . . . “Aja” and “The Royal Scam” are among my favorite albums, too! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your post and all best, Joe

2 Likes

Yeah, I love his playing with Steely Dan! This is my favorite Chuck Rainey/Steely Dan story (skip to 1:35)

1 Like