Cleaning fret wires

Might need to seriously clean a fretboard in the near future. I’ve read what people recommended for the wood of the fretboard on the forums but I’m wondering what would be the best way to tackle really grubby bell brass fret wires?

1 Like
2 Likes

Thank you @Wombat-metal

I use Gorgomyte cloth.
It brings the fret wires up like new at string change time and a little goes a long way.

3 Likes

Thanks @HowlinDawg

+1 for Gorgomyte
-1 for the Music Nomad product, Frine, too messy.

2 Likes

Ah okay @John_E .
Thank you for your reply.
As a rule I haven’t used specific cleaning products other than Dunlop lemon oil but this upcoming job I’m think is going to need a deep clean .

I do use the Music Nomad F-One oil on the fretboards though, its great!

2 Likes

A couple years ago I used to shave with a straight razor, and had a bunch of really, really fine metal abrasives around to hone and polish the razors with that would have worked great for this. Need to see if I still have any.

1 Like

I use fret erasers.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-fretting/polishing-and-abrasives/fret-erasers/

Like sandpaper, but in eraser form. So you need some different grits to do it right.

1 Like

Fret erasers look great for more messed up frets, but I like the Gorgomyte as there is no risk to the fretboard and you don’t have to tape (I do use the MN fret shields though as I am too lazy to tape every fret on every bass when cleaning.

2 Likes

One more vote for the Gorgomyte fret cloth. I’m down to my last little bit after 2 years (5 guitars, two basses) and need to reorder.

1 Like