Cleaning strings

Hi guys,
hope you are well. I would like to ask you how can I polish my strings on my bass? It started to sound a bit creepy and I thought that a nice clean would be great, but I don’t know how to do it correctly!!
Let me know your thoughts.

Antonio

5 Likes

@AntonioM - I’ve never spent any time cleaning any of my strings. I wipe them down every so often with a clean microfiber cloth, but for the most part I kinda go by the words of James Jamerson when it comes to strings… “Without the Gunk ya got no Funk!” :smiley: :smiley:

I do (and even more so now a days) wash my hands before playing any of my stringed instrument - especially after chowin’ down a big juicy hamburger and a side of crispy fried potatoes! :yum: :yum:

I think I would be a bit careful on what to use on strings though… One thing you really don’t wanna do is use something that will break down the adhesion between the inner core and the wrappings of the strings.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Thanks Lanny,
I will try and wipe with clothes you suggested. Really appreciate.

3 Likes

Not a problem @AntonioM… We all have our own ways of doing things, and the best way is what works best for each of us individually… I’m sure over time you’ll develop a routine that best suits your style. We’re all bass players and as such are somewhat independent thinkers, unique in our patterns, strong in our styles, and are each able to decipher and communicate information for the betterment of the group. Glad I could be of a little help… :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep on Thumpin’
Lanny

2 Likes

I like to use Dr. Duck’s Ax Wax and String Lube on mine. Helps keep them feeling fresh and smooth. Can clean the entire bass (and most other instruments) with it too.

I’ve also heard of people boiling strings to remove any dirt that’s built up - never tried it myself though

5 Likes

Yes I saw some video on youtube about get boiling the strings with vinegar. But I don’t know if it is safe for the strings tho!! Thank you for you suggestion.

3 Likes

Hi Lanny, I forgot to ask if you deep the microfibre clothe in the water? Or you just use the clothes?

5 Likes

On the advice of @Jazzbass19 I bought this, and it works well. Very easy to use and inexpensive.

2 Likes

Thank you Pam. I will have a look at it

2 Likes

@AntonioM - No water. I just use a dry microfiber.

Keep on Thumpin’
Lanny

4 Likes

What about this?

1 Like