Clip-on Tuners

I’d still be worried about the possibility of PVC foam off-gassing or leaching through the cotton.

2 Likes

I have had good luck with the Hercules, but easy enough to make a cloth sleeve

2 Likes

I had a weak moment and gas made me by a new Snark Air Chromatic Tuner. Rechargeable, their version of a Pederson. Will see how it goes

snark

4 Likes

I did some research prior and this seems to be the general consensus answer and what String Swing recommended to me as well.

3 Likes

Fair enough
I majored in Plastics Manufacturing at WWU

3 Likes

So… I received my Peterson Strobo Clip HD. I’ve tried using it over the last few weeks.

I don’t think I like it much. The giant vibrating pixels make it hard for me to tell if I’m in tune or not. I think I’m going to snag one of the TC Electronics clip-ons and try that.

Anyone want a Peterson clip-on? I’ll cut you a GREAT deal. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I love my Polytune clip-on, I just have the Strobo in the pedal form that I keep on my board. You probably only need the Unitune if you just play bass, and those are only $35. Do it.

5 Likes

My Peterson clip on came last week. I had promised the KLIQ I had been using to someone. I kept the KLIQ and gave him the Peterson clip on. Same day. (I will stick with the pedal).

3 Likes

I don’t have a clip-on, but I do have a Peterson pedal. It’s rock solid, and it takes seconds to tune to pitch with the strobe screen elements dead still.

3 Likes

Ha!
Went WAY down the rabbit hole yesterday!
So anyway, the Onstage foam is definitely an olifin of some sort, which I would trust to be fairly inert in most circumstances and I won’t bore you. When The Bosslady ordered the stands, she paid a few extra bucks for Nitro safe, but are they all Nitro safe and Musician’s Nemesis has a racket charging extra? The Fender stand foam isn’t an olifin and I’d have to do a burn test to identify what it is, but I don’t think that I’m going to bother.
Then yes, on the Les Paul BB a few people were complaining about their Hercules wall hangers doing damage. Hand sanitizer? Glade Plug-ins? Polymer selection is typically not that hard until you get around humans, because humans get into all kinds of stuff!
My verdict: Order Nitro safe, use cotton sleeves and wash them quarterly. Hey, if all you do is keep the dust and dirt off the sleeves it may be worth it.

3 Likes

OK, I’m just now starting my bass journey, but I do have experience with guitar and mandolin, so I know a bit about clip on tuners. I use the cheapest Fender FT-1 tuner. It is more accurate than my ears, so why in the world would I pay more for something that I cannot hear? I don’t have to worry about it being stolen or lost and the battery lasts more than 1 year and I use it daily. My Michael Kelly bass has a built in tuner and it matches EXACTLY what the little Fender says.

4 Likes

Bass is a bit different. Clip ins tend to have issues on the B string and even the E at times.

8 Likes

Yep I learned that the hard way. For Bass I only trust my inline and Peterson phone strobe app tuners. Any clip ons I tried were just plain unreliable for my Yamaha TRBX504.

3 Likes

The Peterson clip on is very good on the low strings, no issues here.
But that is the only one I have found.

3 Likes

This! :point_up_2::point_up_2:
Sending my Peterson clip on back for the pedal I think, it’s forever telling me my E string’s a B, not on a .100 guage it’s not, I’d have about as much tension as the washing line outside! :rofl:

5 Likes

So much for the extra bucks :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Ok, i think this thing is just plain shiny. Had a squirrel moment when i saw this. It must be meant to be, because i was moving the ibanez and bumped the headstock this morning and broke my super-tight clip on. My sadness is now lessened. Thank you @Wombat-metal !

2 Likes

Now that you’ve had that new Snark for awhile, what do you think? Does it handle the E well?

3 Likes

It’s a definate improvement on other snarks. Feels more solid and not as flimsy. The display is bright and easy to read.

It picks up E just fine, also picks up B without a problem

7 Likes

Yep, TC polyune rocks.

1 Like