Combo AMP for Band Pratice and Small Venues?

With that approach you always rely/assume that there is PA present in the place you play, right?
What about rehersals or venues where there is no PA?
I know that for guitar a lot of people use FRFR speakers. I am not sure if they are any good for bass players :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I haven’t had an amp for almost three years and don’t miss it. I play through studio monitors now, and if I were ever to play live I would need a PA anyway for other instruments.

Good powered PA speakers in the 1000W range and a mixer are inexpensive (relative to buying separate amps for everything) and that’s the route I would probably take for live use. YMMV.

Relevant:

Speaking of Barefaced, they sell some of their cabinets to FRFR users as well as bass players. The Super Midget, Big Baby 2, and Big Twin 2, for example.

1 Like

There’s a lot of overlap between FRFR and PA. In fact is there any substantial difference besides aesthetics and packaging?

Because I am pretty sure a bass is gonna sound pretty awesome going through an amp sim into a mixer with a pair of DBR12’s. And there’s no question it will be loud enough.

1 Like

there is always a PA :slight_smile: otherwise you even can’t play with a singer. that said, I have a bass amp now (Line6 LowDown 300 Pro, that I plan to convert into a head).

a FRFR with a wide enough bandwith, especially in the low frequencies, should work perfectly with a bass preamp.

1 Like

as far as I know, considering what a PA has to reproduce, it’s certainly more or less the same thing. I guess they had to package and market it in a way guitarists understood :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yeah that’s my understanding too.

And this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also related:
https://mehlau.net/audio/spl/

Easily calculate the SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of a given setup. When combining identical sensitivity speakers, add +3 for each one. I imagine this is why an 8x10 fridge has a well above 100+ dB sensitivity while a 1x12 or 1x15 is 95-97.

You’ll notice that doubling watts is a 3dB increase.

At home I mostly toy with preamps, cabsims and a single monitor speaker. Sometimes I hook up my amp without using a cab. So I use it purely for the preamp section which is about 50-60% of the costs of an amp anyway. I think it’s cool to have a mix of analog and digital stuff but that’s just my approach.

For now I stick with preamps/multi-fx and go with a FRFR solution if I ever want to gig. That said I’m absolutely gassing over the new Origin Effects preamps which (kinda) simulate a SVT Ampeg and Fender Bassman.

2 Likes