Comparing 8 Different Bass String Brands!

So I did a search to see if this has already been posted before, and could not find it. So check this video out.

Im interested to see what other people here liked the best. Kinda long and repetitive video.

S

8 Likes

In sound and looks I like several, from this video, for feel I use Rotosound strings.

1 Like

Wow the GHS sound dead and dull for rounds. Almost like flats.

To me, Fender should stick to instruments and amps.
Also, most of the others are just subjective as to how you want to sound. I like to look away and let my ear take me back to the video when I hear something that i really like. A few in there certainly do that, a few made me go back to see what was so ‘awful’, but I suspect others have the reverse decisions on many based on what tone they like.

I wish he gave some thoughts on feel differences.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been watching that one the past few days. I’m drawn to the Dunlop Super Brights as I play fingerstyle and I love the sound.

1 Like

No way, my Fender Flats sound wonderful on my Jazz. Just the right amount of “thud”…

1 Like

And I have Fender rounds on my LB20, I’m digging them. Can’t speak to longevity, I’ve only had them for a few weeks, but they sound really nice.

1 Like

My Fender flats were all clanky at first. After a month or so, Sonic heaven. They just sound great. I think they needed to settle in.

1 Like

I used to swear by GHS Boomers, I’m surprised to hear them so dull in comparison to others with a pick. I did like their fingerstyle and slap tone, though. My only bass with a set of them is the Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 and I have really only played it with fingers.

My 5-string Schecters came with Ernie Balls and I like them okay enough. I doubt I will continue to use them when it comes time to change them. Unfortunately Dunlop’s Super Bright sets only come with a .125 on the B and I like a 130…

My Carvin/Kiesel has Dunlop Super Brights in nickel on it and I like them better. And at $29 for a 6-string set that’s not bad!

My SRC6 has Stringjoys and I like them a lot. Eventually I plan for all my instruments to have Stringjoy strings on them. That price tho…

I wish I remembered more from my music store days, but I’m pretty sure Fender uses an OEM for their strings. I mean, a lot of companies are all using wire potentially coming from the same sources anyway, and then wind them in-house. I remember that Gibson owns GHS (or that’s what I remember from when we received shipments. I can find no information to corroborate this now :eyes: maybe I was misinformed or misremember)

If you want a chuckle, find Stringjoy’s video of a guitar with all plain strings :joy: