Complete noob

I did not mention it is my neighbor under my apartment that is Complaining.

3 Likes

Then I would certainly consider moving your amp off the floor so you get the sound but minimise vibration through to their ceiling

4 Likes

Get an amp stand like this one and place it on a thick rug.

4 Likes

I will surely try all this suggestions

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @jarutz2001,
Enjoy the ride.
I hope you can sort out you’re practice issues.
It’s hard to keep a bass player down and quiet, your neighbours should appreciate a bit of music😎, otherwise you may have to show them the door.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

I had a friend give me a rocktron 20 and it is awesome just enough volume halfway to listen at a speaking level. One of the guys that plays bass at an acoustic get together we do brings in a vox 10 pathfinder which is not very loud at all but it sounds great and is enough to keep up with 3 acoustics and un-amplified vocals. I’m sure the Yamaha 10 is comparable but if you haven’t made the purchase I’d look at the vox it was about $100

5 Likes

Until a few months ago, I lived in a home with no neighbors within 100 feet. As you can probably imagine, volume was never an issue. Then, my family moved into a private community where the homes are rather close. Volume immediately became an issue. A neighbor turned me in to management the first time I played.
So, a studio grade pair of headphones for “dark hours" playing were purchased and a good dose common respect applied. I also spoke to my neighbors and found out a bit more about them. Now, I can jam pretty loud most of the time, and when I can’t, it’s headphone time.

7 Likes

The problem is that the lower the frequency, also the easier sound can go through a floor or wall. Bass and kick drum are very difficult to isolate. Building on the stand idea, if you sit directly in front of the amp stand you can probably turn the volume down some. Power headphones!

Some amp heads or effects have a virtual bass control. It’s a psychoacoustic trick where the ear can hear the upper harmonics of a note and the brain automatically believes that it hears the fundamental note even though that sound isn’t physically there. It’s possible to use this and roll off some of the low end, the part that’s the best at going through the floor.

These are both grasping at small incremental improvements. They will still hear some amount of sound. Depends how much it takes to bother them.

7 Likes

I was going to bring out this point earlier in the thread. On the player’s side of the wall it sounds alot different than it does to the neighbor who just hears a walking bass line alone (or whatever) and not the rest of the music. So, it annoys them. I even annoy my wife sometimes, so I don the studio grade headphones…which interestingly enough certain aspects of my bass sound better through the phone-- don’t hear the frets as much.

6 Likes

I noticed this too.
There are annoying sounds that you will hear through the amp like fretbuzz but a lot of things like string “clacking” or something like that doesn’t come through.

I found this a good way to distinguish between “this is something I have to work on” and “ignore it because the result sounds good.”

4 Likes

Exactly! I’ve seen this before in this Youtube transcription as well where the poster does a transcription that sounds really great. I’m sure it’s direct audio into his DAW, but at 3:30 when he’s mic’d doing commentary, he plays a portion of the song with the amp mic’d as well-- there you hear some unwanted harmonics:

I guess sometime the harmonics are wanted for live shows, but for practice not so much.

1 Like