Complete noob

Hi. I’m P Diddly. I live in Ireland.
My wife bought me a squier jazz bass for my 40th. Look forwarding forward to learning with u guys.

17 Likes

Hey @P_Diddly!
You are in the right place. So your wife bought you the bass and you bought the Beginner2Badass course afterwards?
Can’t clearly tell by your post. Just wanted to recommend the course if you did not buy it yet.

You can also tell us some more about yourself in this thread: Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

2 Likes

Welcome @P_Diddly, like @juli0r says the course is excellent.

5 Likes

Welcome @P_Diddly!

4 Likes

You are off to an excellent start sir. Your wife* bought you a bass!! Very auspicious!

5 Likes

Welcome and congrats on the new bass! One of the best things about bass is that you can have fun playing along with songs from day one. That is something the course is great for, but true in its own right too. It all depends on what style music you are into, but try learning Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes, or Feel Good Inc by The Gorrilaz. Both are easy, and you can find good tabs for them online easily as well.

Do you have any musical background? What made you choose bass, or did your wife decide that when she got you one? It is a really fun, really rewarding journey to learn the instrument! Have fun! If you find yourself struggling with something just ask, someone always has the right tip or video to share because we are all learning and struggling together, which makes it easy to help the people who are struggling with something that you just finally figured out. It is a good, kind group here.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @P_Diddly,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome @P_Diddly
Another vote for the B2B course here :+1:

5 Likes

Hi guys
Newbie here.
I like to get some suggestions how to minimize the bass vibration. I live in an apartment and my neighbor seems to get annnoyed or complain about the vibration even if I think I have it on minimal volume. This situation has really affected my bass practice.
Thanks,

5 Likes

@jarutz2001 in your situation, and good set of headphones is your only solution, other than practicing elsewhere.

7 Likes

Welcome @jarutz2001
Totally agree with @PamPurrs, headphones are the only real solution

7 Likes

I am thinking of getting this practice amp from Yamaha THR 10.
Has anyone been using this small amp. I do use headphone but I am just not comfortable wearing it for a long time.

Thank you all for your reply. Happy Bassing😀

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

@jarutz2001 -
I think @PamPurrs gave you the actual good advice, so I’ll just add:

I’d see if you could pick up a replacement neighbor? Sounds like yours may have a few issues / malfunctions. If you can’t outright return the neighbor, maybe you can trade it out for a new one? Preferably one who plays an instrument, and is super down to jam, teach, and form a band with you.

8 Likes

LOL @Gio

Great advice!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @jarutz2001!

4 Likes

The trouble is @Gio some people aren’t as easy going as us bass players
my-neighbor-knocked-on-my-door-at-2-30am-can-you-21618282~2

11 Likes

I only use my amp on broad daylight I know that I have my right to my stuff but I just don’t like complications. If you know hat I mean✌️

7 Likes

Absolutely. Understood completely.
I’ve had some terrible neighbors in my time. It usually doesn’t pay to antagonize the crazies.
Good luck out there.

5 Likes

Hi @jarutz2001. If the neighbor’s apartment is to the side of your apartment, could you move your practice to a room furthest away from the shared wall?
If they are below you, maybe move the amp off the floor?
Neither probably a full solution but may help maybe?

5 Likes