Compression Pedal Magic

Basically once you have a pedal chain, the EQs serve different purposes depending on where they are.

The EQ on your bass alters the tone of the instrument itself. Before it goes into any effects. Basically it is synonymous with setting the bass tone itself.

Lots of those effects will modify and change that sound - often adding higher or lower harmonics. Having an EQ on a preamp after that is super useful for shaping the sound after the effects that modify it. Also, if (like me) you are not using an amp at all, this is your final preamp before the DAI.

Then the EQ on your amp can be used to EQ for the room you are in. For your practice space this is no big deal. If you are playing live or with others it might be a very big deal - you may need to EQ at that point to be heard well in the mix and/or not be muddy.

(I never had this problem in our band because I was the synth player and could cut through anything. But our bass player and guitarist definitely needed to EQ.)

6 Likes

Thank you gentlemen :+1:

Oh and yes, the amp does have an effects loop on it which from what I’ve read allows me to have the preamp anywhere in the chain rather than just at the end of it ?

4 Likes

The effects loop on the amp is for putting your amp’s preamp before effects. There’s sometimes effects you want to put after the amp preamp and that’s the only way to do that.

Lots of people (myself included) like putting modulation after distortion, for example. So if you are overdriving your preamp on your amp you would be able to put your chorus or phaser in the effects loop.

Another natural thing to put there would be reverb.

4 Likes

Thanks @howard

4 Likes

The thing to remember about all this - you can’t really do it wrong. It’s all about playing with sound and finding what you like.

5 Likes

Cool.
I had a go with putting a chain together on the zoom and somehow managed to get a bloody horrible sound out of it :crazy_face:
It’s a skill you know :joy:

4 Likes

Ha Ha, yeah, I can put patches together fine, sound fine, but when I wan to shape and color and adjust, it kills it for me fiddling thru the controls and I always hit a bank button with my hand when I don’t want to.
I wouldn’t call it frustrating, because to me it is not, but I find it lacking for lack of a better word.
like the zoom box, but I just like the real pedals, better, I can hold them, talk to them, water them, feed them, watch them grow…

3 Likes

yep, that’s what happens a bunch. but it’s pretty damn fun to make a horrendous racket, and then after messing around more, suddenly, you get “hey, that’s actually not so bad”

3 Likes

Got my new pedal today and I can only echo @mezatron. Really noticing the changes in tone and sustain. Happy ,happy,happy :+1:

3 Likes

Awesome, you got The Preacher, right?

2 Likes

Damn, they got it to you in AUS in 2 days, that is freaking awesome.

2 Likes

This means it is time for your Pre-amp / DI .

That Behringer is in stock at Guitar center here for $33 USD.

Will they ship to you?

2 Likes

Yep I got Preacher@T_dub. I also ended up buying a used one here for $80 express delivered :+1:
Now you know you’ve just made me go to EBay now :joy:

2 Likes

Ah, its a $33 pedal, and it acts like a $200 SansAmp, so…its a little investment.

and after that we get to start picking you out Overdrive’s, Fuzz, Octave, envelope filters, chorus, verb, etc… HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. lol

2 Likes

can you order from Guitar Center? the link I posted?

2 Likes

Yep I can certainly feel pedal GAS coming on :joy:

2 Likes

Just don’t let it take you away from practice and learning songs.
It will eat up your time to play with them, but save time to get the work in too.
I have stayed up many a night, all night, fiddling with a new toy. lol… then finally practice at like 4am

3 Likes

I’ll certainly keep that in mind.
I’ve found the DI over here for around $50 so it’s on my wish list with my birthday literally just over a week away :sunglasses:

2 Likes

is that a hint?

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes