Compression Pedal Magic

I’ve been trying to avoid GAS but as I kept poking around the web, many signs pointed to a compressor being the one pedal a bassist ought to have. So I bought a used EHX Bass Preacher for $60 on reverb.com. All I can say if that my tone and feelings about my technique changed drastically.

I’ve been wanting to learn to slap but every time I would practice, the harmonica of thumping and plucking were too much and it felt like I was just making pathetic noise. Once I plugged into the compressor, added a medium attack and some light compression, the tone and volume levels between the two leveled out and it actually sounds good to my ears.

I don’t know if this is a bad crutch that will breed bad technique but my confidence in my playing increased drastically from this little magic box. Even the other baselines I play around with just sound so much smoother and even. I feel like I found the holy grail of tone.

Ps: there are a tons of compressor options out there. Many of which are quite pricey. I opted for the EHX version because it was touted as a set-and-forget type of compression. Now I feel like I can focus on my playing instead of fiddling around with a bunch of knobs.

7 Likes

Bass Preacher is well regarded! Glad you’re liking yours.

I have a modified version of it in my preamp (EHX Battalion - its one-knob compressor is based on the Bass Preacher circuit.) It’s not my main compressor but it’s nice to have for sure.

Compressors are wonderful things, especially for styles with sharp attacks like picking and slapping. Mine is always on.

There’s a truly ridiculous number of them.

I found this guy’s reviews excellent - this is the best compressor review resource I have found:

http://www.ovnilab.com/

5 Likes

Yeah, I love a good compressor, and I actually have two on my board. There are several types of compressors, and I like the two I have, one is an optical and the other is the newer Boss Bass Comp with intelligent circuit that actually sounds like a Bass Boost, but it compresses and limits wonderfully.
Some compressors suck tone and volume, others really flatten out the sound.
Actually, they can all be set to do just that, so playing around with the settings to get them just right is a Key for compression, and it sounds like you have dialed yours in nicely.
My San June Optical is a good even, soft, always on compressor
My Boss is for getting down and dirty, and it comes to life, but doesn’t let things get out of hand.

Thats the best way I can describe it.
And yes, compression pedals can be magic.

2 Likes

don’t worry about it, every slap guy on earth uses compression. prove me wrong :laughing:

2 Likes

Sounds like you got a bargain there @mezatron !
Can’t find one used here and a new one would be $200 aud

1 Like

Did you check Ebay? I see them new for about $60.
Check shipping, I can get one and send it to you slow boat, if it is only $30 or so to ship, you got a deal.

2 Likes

That’s where I looked but I will go back and check again :+1:

2 Likes

No need for me to even ship with this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Electro-Harmonix-Bass-Preacher-Bass-Guitar-Compressor-Sustainer-Pedal-/252261586317

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks for that :+1:

2 Likes

Oops I seem to have bought one :joy:
I blame you all :joy:

4 Likes

My work here is done.

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:
Now what pedal next ?
Seriously I would like some advice

3 Likes

Overdrive or Fuzz.
Pre amp / DI box
Octave pedal
Chorus
Reverb
Envelope filter

What do you desire? and how far do you want to take it.
If you want to stay with EHX you can get the BassBlogger or Soul Food Overdrive and the Big Muff Fuzz pedal

Ocatave Pedal you got the EHX POG, but for the price I like the TC Electronics Sub n Up, it is a bit more advanced with octave up and 1 and 2 octave down, plus Tone Print

Chorus Pedal EHX Bass Clone from the same seller you got the Preacher from.

There are so many god Pre-Amp / OD / DI 's to choose from SansAmp, Darkglass, EHX Battalion, or you can start off with the Sans Amp clone from Behringer the Tone BDI-21 Bass Driver, they are like $30. I have one, @howard has one, I think @terb has one. it is a great start in the Pre-amp / DI pedals, and because it is so cheap and so good, you don’t mind if you get another one, you have not much invested in it. like I just got the DarkGlass Alpha Omega, and I don’t feel like I wasted a bunch of money getting the Behringer, so its a great few dollar investment.
Amazon is out of them, and the sellers are too high, other online vendors should have them for the list price of $33.

Thats just a start.
Maybe you start a thread for your pedal board build so we don’t go too far off topic from this thread

3 Likes

Yeah gotta agree, preamp/overdrive is the next logical choice. The problem is picking one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

yes, mine is modded ; I might get a second one and maybe make a tutorial to explain the mod. not sure at this point as I have more projects than I have time.

3 Likes

What is the Mod?
Got enough time to explain what it is. :wink:

3 Likes

the BDI21 has a big fixed notch on the mids (800 Hz if I remember) and the mod allows to manage this

4 Likes

Okay . I’ll let the dust settle from this purchase and go from there.
Just out of interest if the bass has a 3 band EQ on it do you still use a pre-amp ?

3 Likes

Bass is more for changes on the fly.
Pre-Amp os for setting, or multi settings with changes via pedal or stops, depending on the pre-amp / di you get.
Amp will likely be set flat like the bass.
But it also depends if you run your bass thru the pedal board, to the amp, or the pedal board on the effects loop on the amp, if it has it.
I like to think of my pedals as what I am gonna use to mostly get my sound. Bass Eq for changes while playing and you just need minor tweaks, same goes for the amp.
That does not mean that the amp and bass need to be set flat (12 o’clock, or in the middle where you feel the click on your bass eq.
It just means that you are less likely to change them to make your sound, only for adjustments as you play.
Int doesn’t have to be that way, but it seems to be the norm.
that is if I described it right.
I am learning too. But I am still learning life too, HELP!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

And you don’t have to start expensive for this. That Behringer pedal will do the trick to get you started, and it is a pretty nice unit cloned after one of the better ones on the market, that is kind of a staple for sound.

3 Likes