Compression Pedal Magic

Not if you don’t like it.
if you play without a compressor and like that, its fine.
if you we’re to go to a studio to record, you can set your chain up the way you want to hear it and sent the signal to the board thru the DI and they will add compression to it for you
Same if you play live, you can set up your amp anyway you want to hear it, and the compression will be added by the sound engineer to match what he wants for the venue.

Weather they do use the compression or not for recording or live venue>
I would agree 100% with what @howard said down here :arrow_down:

But I would say the same for live performances.

I am too, but I love compression, and I love playing with it and learning about it, and adding it to my board, or adding it to GB tracks. I think it is a wonderful tool.
A simple explanation for Compression, and what it is supposed to do is to compare it to your TV. Any tv built since Flat screens took over and tube tv’s went, bye bye, use compression, and often it is one of the selling points. They will talk about screen size, resolution, colors and sound, saying “dynamic audio”
You know how when the tv is quiet, you always turn up the volume, then cover your ears when it gets loud and you quickly reach for the remote to turn it down before it wakes up the neighbors.
IF you read the manual for an explanation, it will boast that you can leave your volume set at a comfortable level, and when the action scene’s get loud, and gunfire and explosions happen, it will lower the sound so that it is not uncomfortably loud, and likewise, when the scene is very quiet, and lovers are whispering to each other, or there are faint rustling of the leaves letting you know somebody is coming, that it will raise the volume so that you can hear it.
AND most people, me included, who paid attention to this feature when purchasing a tv, got home to find out that the difference is almost unnoticable. so much that I still turn it up, then turn it back down all the time.
But knowing more about compression, I can honestly say that I can now tell the difference. I wish the tv had more control over the compression, and you could tweak the settings more then just on and off. some high end tv’s might.

I was not that thrilled with the compressors on the Zoom at first, but then I got my Zoom MS-60b, I got it specifically to be a compressor on my pedalboard, because I saw a video reviewing compressors, and for the low cost range, they gave it the #1 spot, based on versatility, that is has 5 compressors, some modeled off HIGH END STUDIO compressors that cost around $2000. The 160 comp is one of those.
I played with them til I got a good result that I liked from each. compressor in the pedal (the same ones are in the B3n).
So I had 5 patches made, each with ONLY the compression pedal in the first slot.
After a while, getting tired of the HISS, I added a 2nd pedal to the chain.
the ZNR pedal. it is a noise gate. if you add this to the patch behind the compressor, it kills the loud, always on electrical noise that is there when you switch h the compressor patch ON, but are not playing anything.
if you add the ZNR, you can leave the compressor on all the time, and when you are not playing anything, it will be SILENCE from your amp or headphones when you are not playing.
This was a HUGE find for me.
So much so that I went out and found a used BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor for my pedal chain and loop my compressors and high gain OD and Fuzz pedals thru it. it is wonderful, I get the same silence out of my pedal board like this.
I got mine used for $50, if I were to buy one NEW, and didn’t care what I spent, I would probably buy this ISP noise suppressor. Actually there is one for $90 at a local pawn shop, but I found the Boss cheaper and went with it.
Keep in mind that noise suppression and dynamic compression are two totally separate things, and used for different things, but combined, I have been very happy.

Also, @PamPurrs, I have posted compression samples of the two pedals I was comparing. I am actually keeping them both because I love both so much for different reasons. one is an ALWAYS on compressor, the other is a CUT. THRU THE MIX compressor.
Here they are,

1 - Clean

2 - San June Optical Compressor G8-cp

3 - Boss Bass Comp BC=1X

If you want @PamPurrs I can run this loop thru the compression patches I have on the Zoom so you can hear what it can do

1 Like

One last thing I would add, and only in case you don’t already know.

To set up your compressor you want to level the sound first.

I would recommend doing something like this.

Get and empty path.
First pedal slot, add the Dyna Comp, or the Comp 160
next, add the ZNR to the 2nd slot.
Make sure they are both ** deactivated in the chain.
stay in edit mode ***
de activate the compressor only
play a note
reactivate the compressor
play same note, same intensity
adjust the volume of the compressor
play the note
deactivate the compressor
play the note
reactivate the compressor
adjust the compressor volume
etc…
you want to do this FIRST, so that your bypass and compressor level are even. once you have this set, you can then start to play with the other settings for compression, ratio, attack, sustain, etc… depending on what pedal you are in, determines what settings you can adjust.

This is when you will really be able to notice what the compressor is doing, because the volume starts off even.

NOTE: be sure that you are adjusting the volume of ONLY the compressor, make sure you are not adjusting the volume of the whole patch, be sure you are in only the compressor settings to do this

PS, I am almost certain that my 2 favorite compressors in the Zoom are Dyna and Limiter

EDITS:
**changed from make sure both are activated to DEACTIVATED
***changed it from saying “stay in edit mode & deactivate compressor”
to “stay in edit mode”

2 Likes

Here’s the description on the ad @T_dub

JF-332 Moonbase - Bass Overdrive
JOYO’s new Moonbase Bass overdrive pedal is especially designed for JAZZ, BLUES and the other more vintage sounding styles. Its thick, rich tone with a subtle amount of fuzz will warm your sound, slow and ethereal like you are walking on the moon.

Protective Flip Cover
All of the Ironman series pedals feature a tough plastic cover that flips over the controls to protect your carefully dialed in settings from wayward feet, effectively offering a practical set and forget tone solution!

Compact Mini-pedal Form Factor
Advances in circuitry design have made it possible for guitar effect pedals to be built in compact enclosures that literally fit in the palm of the hand. The mini design allows more pedals to fit on a pedalboard and helps reduce the overall weight, making them an ideal solution for the traveling guitarist.

Features:

• Controls: Colour, Drive, Level
  • Flip cover design to protect your settings
  • True bypass
  • Space saving mini-pedal form factor
  • Sturdy all metal housing
  • Solid on/off selector switch
  • Includes hook and loop strip for pedal bridge attachment
2 Likes

I like the cover. it is a great idea for a mini pedal, so you don’t have to worry about kicking it on and messing with the settings, since they are under a cover. Looks like a decent little bass overdrive. I am eager to know what you think of it when you get it.

HAHAHAHAH. what’s next. :monkey: :monkey: :laughing: :thinking:

1 Like

What’s next is exactly where I’m at :joy:

1 Like

Ok, so I won’t tempt you with something cool like this, or this, or this, or this

No, I would never do that, and I certainly won’t tempt you with anything like this or this

Yeah, I would never do that to you, never, ever

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::scream:

@howard I don’t recall exactly where I heard that, it was over a year ago when I was just looking into pedals. It may have been one of Scott’s videos, or perhaps some other bass aficionado. In any case, what I was led to believe is that the compressor is more of a studio or sound engineer’s tool rather than something that a bassist would use in a live performance. Maybe I misunderstood.

3 Likes

Yes, I use this always… no matter which effects I’m using. But I have it first in the chain. I will try it with the compressor first just to try it out.

2 Likes

Okay @T_dub here’s a picture of the chain. I moved the ZNR to the second slot. I temporarily disabled the TS808 emulator (BassTsDrv) just as you suggested.

Are you saying turn DOWN the volume on the DynComp?

3 Likes

You want to set it so that the volume of the whole chain is the same whether or not the compressor is on.

4 Likes

Thanks @howard that seems to have sorted it…

4 Likes

Yes what @howard said, but, this is for final use how he said it.
This is pretty sound practice for most pedals, so the the volume of the pedal the same as the bass is when all effects are in bypass.

But for setting up the Compressor, so you can actually hear what is going on, you need to get the compressor’s VOLUME or LEVEL set the same as the bass, THEN you can adjust the other parameters and you will be able to hear what is going on when you raise the compression, or lower it, and if you change the ratio, or attack, or sustain.

it is possibly that you will need to re-adjust the volume / level on the compressor after you set some of the other settings, like compression and ratio, so don’t think once you set the volume the first time, that you need to keep it there. this is only a starting point, there is a word they use for this volume leveling, but I forgot what it is.

After you set this up (working with the compressor, the other effects are deactivated), when you re-activate the other pedals, the volume level may be off from the level of your bass in bypass mode again.
NOW you can set the volume level of the whole patch to match the volume of the bass in bypass.
this way you can go back and forth while you are playing, so you don’t have volume boost’s when you turn the patch on.
I hope this makes sense, if it is not, let me know and I will figure out a way to explain it differently.

I have never tried to use the ZNR before the Compressor in the Zoom, but on my pedalboard, my noise gate it my first pedal, so it should work either way.
Did it change anything by changing the order, or is it basically the same?

2 Likes

One last thing, I like my attack fast instead of slow, but it is just my preference. it may not make a big difference, it depends on the compressor pedal you are using, and the style you are playing.

Attack is just how fast the compressor works. When you are playing aggressively, the attack works well when set to fast, so it doesn’t miss anything. if you are playing softer, then slow is ok.

But, like anything, it is up to you and how it sounds best to you.

2 Likes

I didn’t notice any difference

2 Likes

Yeah, sounds right, sorry I made it sound like the ZNR needed to be 2nd, I just meant for it to be in the patch.

I also edited the original instructions for clarity, edit notes at the bottom

2 Likes

Oh I’ve been looking at compressors for a while now. I do really like the SpectraComp too @itsratso . I’ve got an offer on the table (counter offer to my offer actually) to get one for $80 shipped. Being sold as New open box, 100% Functional, No Cosmetic Flaws, Distressed Retail Box, Complete Accessories. Seller has a 30 day return policy too… what do you guys think? $80 sounds pretty good to me? Or do you think I could do better?

Chris

3 Likes

Do you mean normalisation?

4 Likes

$80 for a SpectraComp in like new condition with no shipping cost sounds like a good deal to me.

5 Likes

The guy trashed my MXR DynaComp. Now I feel sheepish for buying it.

3 Likes