Compressor pedals - When to have one?

Oh yeah I get that. But the point I was making is its not a given for me, I have yet to find any other pedal or bass amp that plays aux out through speakers. Maybe others have but I haven’t. And that really boosted its usefulness in my book.

4 Likes

Ok so … I gave it a shot and got the MXR Bass Compresssor M87…
No difference while practicing at home, a whole new world during rehearsals
All of those times that you get excited with the song and the notes just start to go all over the roof and even sound weird, this little guy just cut them and output at the same volume as the “normal” ones.

I loved it and with the lights bar I’m able to keep track when I’m exaggerating and calm down a little bit.

Totally recommend for those who play with a band

9 Likes

I’ve been practicing through my studio monitor setup, and using an 1176-style compressor on my bass. I started looking for a pedal that could do 1176-style compression and found the Darkglass Hyper Luminal. $250, and it does three styles of comp: SSL Bus, 1176 (“FET”), and Darkglass’s previous “Symmetry” comp… I might get that one!

3 Likes

I quit using my compressor pedal… it completely takes that “deep growl” out of my tone and makes it sound “tinny” (if that’s even a word).

Just one more useless pedal taking up space on my pedalboard.

2 Likes

So funny. I use a lot of effects, and still, compression is easily my most used effect. I would have to check how many compressor instances I am running in my latest cover but it is at least eleven.

• Two on the drum bus - a compressor and a track limiter for mixing/mastering
  • Four on the bass - three in a multiband compressor I made compressing different parts of the EQ at different rates, and an overall compressor and limiter on the track
  • Two on guitar (one for tone and the track limiter)
  • Two on vocals (same)
  • Master limiter

For physical pedals, I am down to two, and one is a compressor :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Which compressor pedal is this? I want to avoid this one. LOL!

How much compression are you dialing in?

2 Likes

I don’t know enough about compressors to mess with the settings. It’s just set to whatever it was out of the box.
I’m fine not using it though.

1 Like

Ah, OK. Sounds like you were very likely over-compressing. Still curious which comp you were using, though!

1 Like

This

a compressor is very certainly the most hard to ear effect, and at the same time the most difficult to set up.

I’m like @howard, I use compressors everywhere but with a very subbtle setting. I like how the colors overlay, but again it’s very very subbtle. I have basically 4 compressors with each a different role :

• FX84 : tighten the bass in the mix, gives a more compact spectrum. also brings an agressive attack / edge in the high frequencies (not always ON)
  • LA-2A model on the Bass POD Pro : brings something very warm, very organic in the midrange (always ON)
  • ReaComp VST in Reaper : used with a very soft setting to limit the extremes, also used on the master track to glue the tracks together, brings some fatness (always ON)
  • ReaXComp VST in Reaper : 3-band compressor, brings some “air” and clarity, only used for mastering on the master track (not always ON but very often)

again, the settings are very light.

conclusion : if you don’t know what to do with a compressor, don’t do anything and just play without using one, it’s perfectly fine. absolutly no objection.

4 Likes

Thank you for that @terb, it’s very helpful.

3 Likes

I find the compressor in Reaper works much better than the pedal compressor.

3 Likes

Some of the plugins Reaper comes with are really good. ReaComp is good, ReaEQ is great.

I’m actually mostly using other compressors in Reaper now but ReaComp and ReaXComp are totally fine, and best , are free :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I realize this post is well aged… but do you care to share the “5 patches set up with the 5 different compressors”? I have a B1on, but I’ve mucked, tweaked and deleted so many of the original patches I don’t know where to begin (and I don’t know diddly about compressors). I do have the ToneLib software so I can download, or dial in, various settings.

Thanks!

3 Likes

@Sachelis you can reset the B1X to factory settings if you want. Might make for a better starting point.

4 Likes

@howard this message was for you but it came through as a reply to a reply.

1 Like

…looks like it was a reply to Toby?

I used a electro Harmonix compressor, both at home and at the studio. It’s not set to compress a huge amount, but just enough to “tidy up the sound” as I call it, as that’s how it sounds to my ears. It’s similar in my mind to tightening up the sound so it’s not all over the place. Never turn mine off.

3 Likes

Sorry, I don’t have the pedal anymore.

I still have a B1x-Four, I could make some possibly.
If you are on the computer with it, you can easily drop in 5 fresh compressor pedals and clear out 5 patches, then create one pedal patch into each thread.

I never did it on the computer side, just at the Pedal side, but then I never saved them back to the computer and I was not able to get a patch off in the past, but it was a long time ago, and a new computer now, so… but I am pretty sure it can be done, just not sure if I fully know how, as far as sending one to you.

1 Like

Execpt this is digiatal technology and each additional bit doubles the the number of permutations so 32bit vs 8 bit is 2^24 (2 to the power of 24) or more than 16 million times more “quality” :slight_smile: