Compressor pedals - When to have one?

Math is off. 32 bit counts to over 2 billion, 8 bit counts to 256. At some point it becomes a stat though

1 Like

No, he’s right. 256 times 16M is just over four billion :slight_smile:

This is the correct value for 2^32, also the maximum value for a 32 bit unsigned integer.

The max 32 bit signed integer is just over 2B because a bit is stolen for the sign bit.

4 Likes

Spock concurs. :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

It’s easy to see how true that is once you covert to dB. We are well into exceeding the capacity of human hearing.

1 Like

I struggled quite a long time with buying a compressor pedal.

Now I bought a Boss BC-1X as belated birthday present for myself. It’s an expensive one, but all reviews I’ve read are really exiting. Well - I’ve seen some YouTube reviews before, but they didnt gave me kick to buy.

So in the end… Yeah… I spend the money and I have to say: it was worth it.

The compressor doesnt change the tone itself, but as soon as the compression starts working, the tone sounds richerand more fundamental. Hard to descripe…

My wife - she doesnt understand much about bass guitars - also mentioned, the she like it and that there is a change.

Well, soft playing doesnt have an effect (related the pedal settings), but playing with more intense is bringing a fully sound.

My gear:
Cort B4 Element
Fender Rumble500 Combo
Fender Rumble 210 V3
BOSS BC-1X compressor pedal
KORG Pitchblack Custom BK tuner pedal

Yes - I also own the multieffects pedal ZOOM B1X, but I kicked it out of my arrangement.

4 Likes

Quite a while back @T_dub posted some samples woth different compressors. One was the Boss BC-1X.

Their were a few of us that instantly latched on to the sound you’re talking about. I thought it sounded great. I remember @T_dub being surprised by this as it was the first one he intended to sell. (It’s now belongs to @Reasonably_Happy.)

I always wondered what he heard when creating the samples that was so different than what I heard on the recordings.

3 Likes

To be honest, I feel like it translates more to “feel” as much as sound.

3 Likes