Connect Amp and iPad to one Headphone

Hello everyone,
I’m fairly new to this whole bass learning and need some suggestions on how best to connect my devices for my lessons.
I have an amp with headphone out socket, i use my iPad to stream the lessons. Josh advised we use headphones to listen to the practice songs. I got a headphone now, but have to use only one side so I can hear what I play from the amp, while listening to the lessons. Is there a way I can have both the iPad and Amp coming into the headphones simultaneously? If yes, what kind of gear (s) do I need to get to achieve this?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I am sure someone in here can help you out, @Trev1 - I seem to remember that several in here have chosen the same approach.

An important piece in this puzzle would be know whether your amp had an aux input socket? If so, I think you are OK by routing the iPad into that socket (provided the correct cable) and then headphones out from the amp.

Again, once you checked whether your amp has that aux in, then I am sure there is more than one in here to tell you exactly how to do that :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter.
Unfortunately, my amp doesn’t have aux in. Maybe I’d need to upgrade the amp.

1 Like

For starters, try to check this thread: Bass recording and listing to play along
Cheers!

1 Like

@Trev1 Welcome to BassBuzz!
It all comes back to having a device with both an AUX in and a headphone out.

If you want to upgrade your amp it’s worth looking to have both connections. After the course you will still be able to use it for playing along with backing tracks.

Their are a few people on here that go amp-less, using headphones all the time.

The least expensive option is probably this…

It plugs directly into your bass and you plug your headphone and aux cable directly into it.

4 Likes

Thanks @eric.kiser. I’d get the Vox for now and maybe upgrade my amp later.

1 Like

Thanks for the thread link @joergkutter. I did a search initially but couldn’t get the right search phrase to get me here🙂

2 Likes

It’s all good. We duplicate threads all the time. :rofl:

I think it goes with the territory since BassBuzz caters to so many new people. A lot of people don’t know enough to even know what to search for.

2 Likes

There may be another way – if your practice amp has a pre-out (sometimes called a line out), you can feed that into the line in of the sound device of your computer, mix it with whatever else your sound card is doing, and use the headphones on your computer.
This is in fact my setup.

2 Likes

Yeah. Good call. I hadn’t been thinking about that. What kind of amp do you have?

A Harley-Benton 40W practice amp. The line out is in fact sort of a preamp out - the eq settings are reflected in its output.

1 Like

Thanks @peterhuppertz. I sure need amp upgrade. My current amp is a cheap fender amp with only bass line in and headphone out. Will look out for these new features I’m just getting to know now when I make my next purchase.

1 Like

Line in will allow you to connect your tablet! :grinning:

1 Like

Actually, it’s not a “line in” it’s the bass chord input… :upside_down_face: Pls don’t mind me, I’m still trying to get used to all these.

1 Like

I have big headphones that I plug into my amp and the little Apple EarPods for my iPad. I skip the EarPods underneath the big guys and it works pretty well. Not the most techy fix but didn’t need to order extra parts :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks @bjhirsh.
I got the Amplug device and used it a few days. It wasn’t a pleasant device cos of hum. I quickly upgraded to a fender amp with an Aux-In option. So that issue has been resolved now.

1 Like