Cooking and Bar-B- Que

This thread is Josh’s worst nightmare.

7 Likes

My favorite thing about touring was new espresso spots, new food experiences.

My favorite thing about touring the south / the Carolinas = the BBQ.

These photos are world class. Gorgeous!!

4 Likes

Offset barrel smoker made in New Braunfels, Texas out of a heavy gauge steel. It was a gift from my Dad. “Hello, this is Consolidated Freight, we have a 200 pound pallet for you” What ???!

The rib dry rub:
2x salt
1x garlic, onion, sweet paprika
1/8x cumin

Smoke 4-6 hours 200-250 degrees F.
Sear off excess fat over the hot box.

The sauce is different every time depending on mood. I pick and choose from the possibilities in each category below and taste to see. It’s usually more in the strong tangy and slightly hot direction.

Base- chicken broth, ketchup, tomato paste
Sweet possibly- brown sugar, molasses
Sour possibly- lemon juice, red wine vinegar, mustard
Spicy possibly- cayenne pepper, white pepper, hot paprika
Others possibly- Worcestershire, celery seed

Since that picture was taken the Valley Fire cleared the entire neighborhood to ashes. The smoker was warped and oxidized beyond recovery. Now we are vegan, ha! I do still appreciate how much I enjoyed it then and what a craft it was. It’s fun looking at the pictures on this thread and seeing these fine works of art.

My favorite fast read precision thermometers:

5 Likes

After I started the thread, I thought this exact same thing. :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

@DaveT this is such a complicated post. So, I’ll take it in pieces…

That is a pretty awesome gift!

This is so important. I don’t know anybody that likes fatty greasy barbecue.

Aw man, that’s really sad.

Wait. What?!
Whenever I’ve had a friend get divorced I always end up saying both, “I’m real sorry you had to go through this.” and “Congratulations, now you can move forward.” I guess, both of those apply here as well?

4 Likes

Well, the transition was subtle, slow and painless. The result of having a changed focus in life means that some things naturally fall away and others appear. I liked my eating then. I like my eating now. I still like how my eating was then. Zen and the art of BBQ.

4 Likes

Earlier this year my son bought a smoker. First meal I had at his house was all it took to get me started. Covid has made it difficult to find a smoker but I was fortunate to find a new Pit Barrel being sold privately. So far we are really enjoying it. Last week we put a full load of three chickens and two rib racks in it.

image image

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @cbx4evr,
Love your smoker, I have 3 different ones, natural gas, pellet and offset wood fired👍
All produce different results, but the finish is sensational in all 3.
Your finished product looks great :+1:
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Lol I thought you guys were talking about this…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=740&v=eVIuZ04trgA&feature=emb_logo

But yeah also I love me some BBQ… Has been a long time though. In italy cooking with coal is extremely rare.

2 Likes

Thanks. My son uses a gas smoker. That’s what I set out to and but seems with this Covid going on everything I am looking to purchase is hard to get. I’m in Alberta, Canada. Locally there isn’t a smoker of any sort to be purchased unless you are prepared to pay over inflated prices - I’m not.

I wasn’t intending to start with charcoal but I got the Pit Barrel for cheap. We like it and it’s not as much work as I thought it would be. Now the challenge is to buy charcoal which seems to be in short supply. Yesterday I found a store in a small town 1 1/2 hours away that had some so went and bought 6 bags. Good for 12 cooks now. Thinking smoked turkey for Thanksgiving. :yum:

2 Likes

Looovvve my pbc

2 Likes

PBC?

1 Like

Pit barrel cooker, sorry

2 Likes

Oh my, a BBQ forum! Hope my Pecan Rub bird pic goes through

3 Likes

Smoked mussels and garlic bread on the Traeger!

5 Likes

@Sully good lookin eats my friend!

3 Likes

yep :+1: :yum:

2 Likes

Since you mentioned BBQ…

Here is a pic of the near devastation that could have taken place with my starter grill and some El Diablo:

I decided that regular charcoal would be best for my little WalMart powerhouse:

Then I realized, it’s not the tools, it’s what you do with them!

If anyone ever wants to try a nice marinated chicken breast, Sprouts has a Citrus Marinated breast they sell from the butcher that is fantastic.

6 Likes

That’s a pretty sweet charcoal grill! @architecht13 I just started charcoal grilling again after decades of being propane and the last 2 years with a pellet smoker. (still doing all 3 of course!) Will look for the chicken at Sprouts, we just got one here in Seattle.

5 Likes

Pellet smokers are the best, I run all 3 as well, @BillJr.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes