Cooking and Bar-B- Que

BBQ is one of my all time favorites. In another thread some folks started mentioning their smokers and what they’ve been smoking.

Bring it On!

Also, this isn’t just for BBQ. Feel free to bring whatever food you like.
Post your pictures and recipes here!

6 Likes

Nice! Some of my more recent adventures

6 Likes

One more, forgot the pork shoulder I did

7 Likes

Beautiful smoke ring on that brisket.

I grew up in Jacksonville, FL and in that part of SouthEast Georgia and NorthEast Florida they have their own version of mustard based bbq sauce that is my favorite. What kind of sauce do you use? Or, are you a purist that goes without?

A long time I traveled for work and made a point to eat bbq wherever I ended up. It was pretty cool getting to eat all these different local bbq meats.

3 Likes

Oh, this thread will be a popular one, I predict!

No pics, man, I just put away my BBQ grill, supposed to snow already up here already this week, but may have to take it out again next weekend for some late season grilling. I grew up in Texas, and, yeah, every region of the US does seem to have its own unique BBQ flavors.

4 Likes

Man I love BBQ.

I’d have thought that good American-style BBQ would be hard to find in Tokyo but it’s actually not so bad, there’s a couple stellar places. The military folks here have it even better where the bases do some truly world class BBQs and sometimes open them to the public.

Even so, there’s nothing like home BBQ, and for a few years my father in law and I have been pretty serious about it, we each have decent (if small) gas grills. He bought a smoker last year as well, so we’ve had nonstop amazing smoked chicken and other meats more or less whenever we want it.

Also, Japanese charcoal (used primarily for yakiniku and yakitori) is amazing. Really really good stuff. Sakura wood works well for smoke as well. Hickory is available here too.

Japanese BBQ is pretty amazing itself, people here love to do it, lots of rec areas have them.

4 Likes

I like tomato based, not a fan of Carolina style, but it’s just a preference after all. If the briskets done right though it doesn’t need anything IMHO. I was stationed all the over the US when I was in so got to try all kinds of bbq. Texas or St Louis style is my preferred, but did have some great stuff when I lived in Panama City, FL.

5 Likes

I did have some amazing bbq in Korea a few years back when I was in Seoul. Never made it to Japan, but can imagine how good things would be there.

5 Likes

Strongly prefer Texas style myself. Though the best (American) BBQ restaruant here is Carolina style and that style grew on me quickly too. Interesting sauces!

3 Likes

Japanese BBQ is similar to Korean. Both are amazing for sure.

5 Likes

I love so much different bbq, I don’t even know if I have a favorite.

The one thing I won’t touch… is Alabama White BBQ Sauce :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Right here, in Chicago, we have Meathead, the owner of the biggest BBQ site on the internet amazingribs.com. I use, based on their reviews, a pit barrel smoker which I love.

4 Likes

Haha!
I don’t barbecue myself. I let people invite me to professionally devour “all the things”.
You don’t want to see pictures of the remnants :laughing:

3 Likes

Here we go,
I love it,
I started out with a natural gas broil king bbq that I use wetted down wood chips to smoke input it to difficult to maintain constant temp👎🏿
Now I run a green mountain grill pellet smoker, magnificent :+1:
Also have a wood fired offset smoker, good but time consuming, we use local woods here , red gum, box and peppermint, all give nice flavour.
I used to buy dry rubs from the US, now I make my own using a vast variety of different spices but the easiest and simplest is what we call a Dalmatian rub, just cracked pepper and sea salt👍
I use mustard as a base on some Boston butts, I inject Apple juice and other juices into them.
Some sample pic’s for your viewing

11 Likes

Holy smokes (sorry couldn’t help myself)!!! :grin:

I can bring the beer :wink:

6 Likes

Your on @joergkutter👍
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Good grief. That all looks delicious. :flushed:

3 Likes

Being born, bred and raised in Texas-- I can appreciate this thread. Vinegar based sauces are my favorite. Never tried Carolina BBQ; sounds really interesting.

2 Likes

Bloody hell mate.
You don’t do anything by halves do you?
Can’t wait for my invite.

2 Likes

Dalmatian rubs are the go to for many of the pro’s and really all you need on a good brisket. People never put on enough though and then don’t get the nice bark we all love.

Now if I could just get my bass playing to match my bbq/smoking skills I will be all set :slight_smile:

2 Likes