Create my own p bass

ok so now that im getting a better ear and hand feel. im already wanting a new bass that is not a option at this point in my life. but… im thinking of a alternative when hearing all the vintage hype. i realized something we have all this cheap tech why not take advantage of the issue. so i looked up pbass pickups. found the 62 fender reissue 110 bucks. then im thinking find a used p bass via pawn or craigs list. make sure it dont have a banana neck and the truss rods is not maxed or broke. gut it and rebuild pods and pickups. replace tuners if needed. and there it is my new pbass guys give me some imput on your thoughts. oh by the way i would take it and have it set up by a professional. stay warm and safe be strong and play more bass!

3 Likes

I’m not a big fan of Fender pickups. I have 4 Fender currently and I changed the pickups on 3 of them. I much prefer specialized brands like DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan (… or a lot of other brands).

that said, some Fender pickups are good but that’s not the general case in my opinion. they often tend to sound flat and without personnality.

of course at some point all of this is also a matter of taste.

4 Likes

@steeler.fan51 It’s the best way to get a top spec bass. Another way is to buy a new body & neck. The same as your thinking about your pickups.
Often called Partscaster’s. No resale, but what a buzz knowing it’s your full spec custom shop. And a pro set-up will tweak it to perfection
JT

3 Likes

First off i will have to forgive the whole steelers thing, (I am from kansas city). anyway, both my basses are what they call “parts” basses. i put them together. you can buy squier basses all day long for around 100.00 to 125.00 on facebook marketplace. you will find where the parents bought the kid a bass, they took lessons for 6 months and lost interest. my black one is a 2015 that looked brand new. i got it for 120.00. the one one the left was a body from ebay, a neck from ebay, a pickguard from ebay. i was going for the vintage look. have about 220.00 in that one.

4 Likes

ty terb its food for thought. both are much better quality i value your thoughts and time i will be doing some research!

2 Likes

they are sexy i hate to show my age but… i use to watch bradshaw play and the steel curtain however i have to admit i was rooting for the chiefs they so deserved this one great team and good taste in basses ty for your thoughts and time stay safe

2 Likes

i like that srv look im a sucker for a bass or guitar that shows some love and gives that sweet sound thats what im going for thank you for your thoughts and time stay safe

3 Likes

ah you want the “relic” look. there are relic necks and bodies out there, but most i see are fender brand and priced that way.

3 Likes