D'Addario String Finder Tool

It pointed me at my normal string, the EXL170.

3 Likes

It didn’t find a string for my six string, which makes sense. When I did it a second time it gave me EXLs, so not just a marketing tool

3 Likes

Well, I didn’t expect it to recommend La Bella flats, which is what I have on all of my basses. :slightly_smiling_face:

However it did recommend ETB92 Tapewounds, which has got me thinking . . .

5 Likes

Oh I didn’t realise that they were your go to strings @howard !

2 Likes

La Bellas are my preferred and it also told me tapes.
I have La Bella tapes on one bass and love them, but wouldn’t put them on another, nor try theirs.

4 Likes

I’ve played those and they are heavenly. Very “double bass” sounding IMO. I have a couple sets in my reserve string stash, and still switch to them occasionally whenever the mood strikes me.

3 Likes

hmmm…perhaps an experiment is in order

3 Likes

I have ETB92s on my P bass with the Geezer pickup. Really like the setup

2 Likes

In an almost suspicious coincidence the ETB92s it recommended for me appeared on sale on Amazon. I’ve got them now and I’m just left with the question of which bass to put them on… Jackson Spectra PJ, or Fender Jazz? Any suggestions?

3 Likes

I would say try them on the Fender Jazz (four in line tuners) first and if they don’t work there, then try them on the Jackson (two by two tuners).

I’m suggesting this because of how the strings get cut more than anything. If you cut the D and G strings for the Jackson first, they won’t be long enough to try on the Jazz.

6 Likes

I just found the tool and happy to say it suggested the strings I have just popped on. My Chromes ECB82 are AMAZEBALLS.

5 Likes

I just ordered an EXL165 string set for free for only 999 Player’s Circle points. I had 1150 points, which I earned when I registered for an EXL170 set that I bought about a year ago. So essentially, I got two sets for the price of one! Even shipping is free.

If you have some Player’s Circle points lying around, you can use them to order any set of D’Addario strings for only 999 points using the promo code “999STRINGS”. Only this month!

3 Likes

dammit I never noticed this through several sets of strings :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I used to use their reeds but no more…and dang it I have 850 points!!! Doubt I will ever get more, bummer.

2 Likes

@Mike_NL are NYXL’s included in the “any set?”

Tempted to buy some EXL’s and freebie me some NYXL’s :rofl:

3 Likes

@howard they are, but they are out of stock. Too bad as I wanted to try them out as well.

3 Likes

How do you register them, just use the package? I may still have the package around here. I would go for another set, they are just as good as any I used.
I am into light gauge strings now that I have put a set on a couple basses, I really love the playability, and ability to string bend the E and. A for more expression in my playing. I think I am hooked on the .095 E string.
I have a set of Rotosound in my Amazon cart, and they get some silly light string sets, like .035 to .090, and I am thinking of trying a set out. If I don’t like them better, then its the .040 to .095 size is Slinky’s and XL’s that I have tried and am just in love with.

I will hunt down that package if I still have it and register for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah I really wish I hadn’t chucked my packages - I almost exclusively buy their strings.

2 Likes

bummer!

Players Circle is currently available in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, plus select European countries including: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and Spain. Keep your eye out for updates, as we are always looking to expand to other countries.

no availability here. oh well

2 Likes

Does anyone know if there’s a way to visually tell apart XL, XT and NYXL? Is their colour coding different on the ball ends by any chance? Or anything else that would make them identifiable?

Reason for the question is that I am trying to find out what strings are installed on my two Laklands. They look identical, but I swear that the ones on the DJ-4 feel better. (Before you ask: I don’t know in what way they feel better. They just do.)

This is what the Lakland website says:

Skyline Series feature Nickle wrap D’Addario Mediums .045″-.105″

I think this narrows it down to EXL165, NYXL45105 and XTB45105, and I assume they went with EXL165, because that’s the cheapest one. Are there any other D’Addarios that would fit their description above?

3 Likes