D'Addario String Finder Tool

String Finder Tool | D’Addario

Has anyone tried it?
Did they predict your string of choice?

When I tested it out, the suggestion was the NYXL 45-105.
Which was kinda cool. I was planning to try these anyway.

6 Likes

It picked EXL170’s for me, which are indeed my all around favorite strings.

I like the NYXL’s too though; largely the same but stay in tune in an eerie, rock-solid way.

1 Like

It got me wrong, didn’t reco La Bellas :upside_down_face:

It did reco tapes, which is really really odd.

1 Like

Your style is truly unique. It appears we don’t have a set that matches your preference. Try changing your answers slightly and String Finder may be able to find a match.

guess I’m SOL

3 Likes

Maybe I broke it, sorry.

1 Like

IDK if it will work for me. It doesn’t say Slinky’s :roll_eyes:
It could in a really non scientific and more fan fictional way however.

It told me to get EXL-220’s. IIRC, I put some XL something on my Stingray, and have not been loving it. Its not bad, but it certainly is not upgrade to what I took off.

1 Like

It recommended the ETB92 nylon tapewounds for me. Haven’t used them but I have been planning on trying flats next. But damn, those prices :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

You need to beware, too, since they cost a lot.
Nylon tapes are cool to play and feel really funky on your fingers, in a good sort of way, but not a normal bass tone, so buyer beware.
I would try to get somewhere where you can try them out on a bass, like a Guitar Center or shop of some type that will allow you to demo a set, before dishing out the money.

Or make sure you are purchasing from a shop that has a full refund / money back back warranty policy set THAT COVERS STRINGS before you buy them , cuz you might hate them.

I certainly would never put them on my main axe.
I might have a set sometime, just cuz, but I won’t be anytime soon.

3 Likes

It recommends the NYXL 45-105 for me. Close to the EXL165 (45-105) which I usually use. Guess I’ll have to try the NYXL’s some time.

3 Likes

I really like them.

3 Likes

Okay so I normally play flats from Fender to Thomastik in all different gauges except for my homemade P which has the rounds my Ray4 came with in it.
But in the spirit of this thread I’ve ordered a set of the EPS170s the thing recommended.
Half the price of a set of flats ( unless on sale) so why not :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Whoa. Going from flats to some of the brightest steel rounds you can buy - that’s a big change :slight_smile:

2 Likes

NYXL for me too

Maybe they have a ton of NYXL lying around and want to get rid of them

3 Likes

I know!
I’m really interested to see where this will lead.I’m blaming @eric.kiser and lockdown fatigue for this :joy:

3 Likes

It recommends the NYXL 45-105 for me, which have indeed been my go-to strings.

I must have missed something though as I don’t recall it asking any questions about corduroy. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

It chose XL Half Rounds for me, which is weird because I already have a set of them and didn’t much care for them.

2 Likes

I didn’t know where this thread would go but it has turned out pretty cool seeing the different suggestions it comes up with.

1 Like

It also recommended the 45-105 NYXLs for me. Interesting, I’ve been using the XT 45-105s and I really like them. I wonder if I should give the NYXLs a shot?

2 Likes

I’m starting to wonder if this thing is pointing people toward the more expensive strings.

5 Likes

Yeah it costs twice as much as the EXL165 (the factory string on both my basses). But I guess that means it sounds twice as good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes