Dark country / modern bluegrass

For country, check out Ryan Chrys and The Rough Cuts.

2 Likes

thank you all, even if it’s not a lot of dark country you made me discover a lot of interesting bands !

maybe I should precise a bit what I call “dark country”, one good example would be this song that I covered last summer (this time in a live version, for a change) :

and Dead Man by Neil Young (the entire album) is a definition of dark country :

4 Likes

@howard I had forgotten how terribly dark Country Death Song is. In message if not in sound.

1 Like

Yeah, I really love those guys, all of their stuff is actually pretty intense when you listen to the lyrics.

1 Like

If you like this stuff you already know I’m sure, but I’m a gigantic Gillian Welch fan. And I think that Dave is the best acoustic guitarist on earth. And yeah, she’s pretty damn dark

3 Likes

thank you @itsratso , I didn’t knew her, I really love what she does !

3 Likes

yeah indeed after a few hours digging all this, I love Charlie Parr ! not so much the other things you shared I must say. but if you have more in the style of Charlie Parr (or oven more DARK country), yeah, I’d love to ear :grin:

2 Likes

Ok… if that’s what catches ya, check out some of this fine fellow!
Hard to find things much darker than Amigo the Devil…

And some other great song writers from the darker side of the tracks -
The Devil Makes Three

2 Likes

@itsratso

Yeah Gillian Welch has some amazing songs. They sometimes have a melancholy feel and she has the perfect voice for that style!

1 Like

So she first became much more popular (along with giant bluegrass stars like Allison Krauss, check out her Grammy winning CD with Robert Plant) from the movie O brother where art thou, starring cloonie which is the greatest movie soundtrack of all time. (and a great movie too BTW, watch it - it literally changed my musical life). And if you like it, all the musicians did a live album and film (down from the mountain) shortly afterwards, and the MC was the legendary Harry McClintock, who died of cancer shortly afterwards.

1 Like

OK, now I can’t stop. Her boyfriend/guitarist Dave also has his own band. And, he’s umm… A better guitarist than songwriter. But last year he put out a song that is one of the all time greats. Hmm… Maybe she wrote it?

4 Likes

now that’s a topic with some serious competition :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fight me :rofl:

2 Likes

I was reading this thread from the top, and stopped right before coming down to this post.

I spent 25 min searching google and YT looking for this guy.

I don’t know him well, but I know he is dark.
I just couldn’t remember his name.
I knew it was diablo or devil something. I even searched for diablo the devil and devil el diablo. Couldn’t remember the AMIGO.

Wouldn’t you know that I found it on YT.
Came back to post his name.
Scrolled down to the next post by @Gio, to find that quote. It was right there the whole time.

GDMFS@#$#&*@#@$@$

:crazy_face::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rage::crazy_face:

LOL. SMH. LOL

3 Likes

ITS ON :slight_smile:

Although it is a clever tactic pulling out punk rock on a punk rock guy, those aren’t even the original artists, so no. :joy: You would have been closer with repo man. But one of the reasons I like OBWAT is because the music is an integral part of the movie and it’s not just a concert film. Sorry to monopolize the post I’m bored

1 Like

Actually you should check out the Control soundtrack, the actors did an amazing job. Movie is awesome too.

(24h party people is all originals)

Repo Man had a glorious soundtrack. Pablo Picasso was never called an asshole :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really love this album of The Devil Makes Three, and I saw they recorded a few others albums. I plan to listen carefully to all that !

this song for example is great, here in a minimal live version for a change :

3 Likes

Pete is a phenomenal songwriter, and the dark, minimal, gritty sound they get as a stripped down trio is dynamite.
Live they are powerful, and driving, and tight as anything.

I got to open for them a few times, and they are very wonderful and excellent people. I love it when my music heroes end up being good people.

2 Likes

just found this :

1 Like